Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating SQL to a new Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottcabral1979

Programmer
Mar 16, 2012
US
Hi,

We currently have a SQL 2008 datawarehouse server with about 15 different databases.

We were given a new Server (faster,more memory,etc..) with a fresh copy of SQL 2008 R2 installed.

I will need to move all of the databases from the old SQL server to the new SQL server. The issue that i have is that on the current SQL server, we have a C: and D: drive. Some of the databases and logs are on C: and others on D:. On the new SQL server we have C:, D:, and E: drives.

What is the best way to move the databases from the old SQL server to the new SQL server and have the files reside on a different drive? For example, If i have database called ABC and the data and log files are stored on C:\DataFiles. I want to move them to the new SQL server and have the data file on D:\DataFiles and the log file on E:\LogFiles.

I will also be moving the system databases as well. Those all reside on C: and will be on C: on the new server. I imagine i will have to move those first.

Since this is a datawarehouse, i don't have any issues with stopping the service if I need to.

Thanks

The restore command has a MOVE that is where you can change the file location.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Or you can detach them from the current version, copy the db and log files to new server and then attach them in the new version.

That's what I did moving from SQL2000 -> SQL2008 R2

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Electronic Dance Music Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back