Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating Server - Catalog and Policy questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWatson

MIS
Nov 22, 2002
GB
Hoping you guys can help or point me in the right direction.

I am migrating my Netbackup server to a new server. It will be same version (5.1MP3) and same operating system (2003 server).

I understand because of the Catalog that the server will need to have the same name, is this correct, if so that's a bit of a pain but understandable.

Is there a prooved method to export and then import both the Catalog and the policies. Don't really want to have to create 40 jobs manaully again. I found lots of postings with regards to moving catalog from Windows to Solaris but that's no use.

If I do create the jobs manually, as long as I give them exactly the same name will everything be okay in terms of the Catalog etc. I have a few funnied with a couple of the policies so I'd like to recreate them from scratch, but still wanna be able to restore from previous jobs.

Thanks in advance

Graeme

Please save yourself future problems and keep the master server the same name. That is my suggestion. Changing the master server name should only be done in a disaster recovery situation where you may be forced to or in a lab environment where you really don't care if the data is lost.

You can backup the netbackup folders (minus the catalog folders)as a regular backup. Also backup the catalogs with the catalog backup utility. On your base )S system do a bprecover. Finally restore the other NetBackup folders (like policies) via bprestore

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and thats the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back