Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating SAN data on Clutering to new disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmorris123

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2002
GB
Hello,

Currently I have an issue and can't understand what process I need to go through in order to resolve. Currently I have a pair of W2K Cluster servers that are SAN attached... I need to move the data from one SAN to a new one that we have had installed. Basically I have had paths available to both SAN's and data copied from the old SAN onto the new one... however once the old SAN has been removed and new SAN disks renamed (i.e correct drive letters, signatures etc) the disks come back as saying as unreadable in Disk Management and show as local disks in explorer (instead of having their volume labels displayed). If I stop the cluter disk driver and reboot the server, the disks come back and look absolutely fine but of course they are not under control of MsCluster thus defeating the purpose!

Has anyone performed any migrations across SANs? Can anyone spot any key flaws in the process i've used? or can anyone provide instructions on what I should be doing for a correct and successful SAN migration?

Thanks for all help!

Neil

It's been a long time since this was posted so I can assume you have resolved the problem one way or another.. but anyway here's my fourpenneth.
When you write disk signatures you must make sure you have got the correct disk number along with the correct signature along with the correct drive letter - what I call 'getting your ducks in line'.
On a live cluster (ie prior to it going bang) you can run dumpcfg.exe (from the nt/w2k resource kit). If you have a dead system (ie system up but cluster down) then look under registry entry hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\clusdisk\parameters and look for signatures and then look at their properties and note down signature code and disk number.
You then need to know which disk number is allocated to which drive. Ether look in disk-manager or the regsitry entry above to get this information.
When you put in your replacment disk(s) make sure they are presented in the same order as the original to ensure the disk numbers and drives are the same.
I have had lots of fun with IBM FAStT200 and Win2k clusters so best of luck.
Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back