Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating reports from CR server 2013 to CR Server 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2nuk

IS-IT--Management
Dec 24, 2002
GB
We have recently had a new installation of CR 2016 on a new server. We already have an existing CR2013 server that contains around 500 reports. I want to move the reports across to the new platform but am not having any luck in find a utility that does this.

The only option i can see at the moment is to open a report, save to folder and then log into the 2016 repository and upload it, I am not looking forward to have to do this for all the reports!

There is a report upload wizard that comes with Crystal Reports, I can upload files to the new server with this tool but i still have the issue of getting them out of the old server.

Any ideas?

So are you upgrading from one BO (4.0) to a newer BO (4.1)? If so, you should be able to use the promotion management tool in the CMC. If not, then I do not know of any other tools (but there could be).

There are a couple of ways to do this - both of which you'll run on the new server if you're on SP3 or older.

1. Use the Promotion Management GUI in the CMC. Set up the old server as a connection and pull the reports up to the new server.

2. Use the Promotion Management Command Line Interface (lcmcli). There are instructions for how to set this up using a properties file in the Admin Guide.

If you're CRS 2016 system is on SP4 or newer, it gets a little more complicated. With SP4 SAP updated all of the security libraries, so it cannot connect to earlier versions and earlier version cannot connect to it. In this case, my recommendation would be to use lcmcli on the old system to export all of your reports and instances (if you're migrating instances) to .lcmbiar files. The tool will automatically split the export out into multiple files so that they don't exceed the maximum size it can handle. You'll then move those files to the new server and use lcmcli to import them.

-Dell

Senior Manager, Data & Analytics
Protiviti

Thanks kray and hilfy for responding.

I am on SP4 so it sounds as if am stuck with the command line option. This would also answer why i am unable connect to the 2013 repository from crystal reports.

I will have to track down the admin guide to get to grips with lcmcli command line functions!

Many thanks

hi there,

Can anyone assist in using the command line tool?
I have a couple of queries

1. how to go about running the command line on windows?
according to the admin guide i need to navigate to the java/lib folder, but before i can run the command i need to set the path. I have set up a system>environment variables to n:\SAP CrystalServer2016 SP4\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\java\lib folder.

However when i attempt to run the file using the command java -cp "lcm.jar" it errors with a 'Java is not recognised as an internal or external command' looking through the folder, there is no file with that name.

2. does anyone have a sample properties they can share, there are quite a few parameters and i just want to check if all these are mandatory.

Many thanks in advance.

The folder you've set the path to is the one that contains the BI Platform Java SDK. The one that has Java in it is under n:\SAP CrystalServer2016 SP4\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64\sapjvm\bin.

Here's what I usually use for properties (assuming live to live promotion...):

action=promote
LCM_CMS=<CRS 2016 CMS>
LCM_userName=Administrator
LCM_Password=Password
Source_CMS=<CRS 2013 CMS>
Source_UserName=Administrator
Source_password=Password
Destination_CMS=<CRS 2016 CMS>
Destination_username=Administrator
Destination_password=Password
ExportDependencies=true
IncludeApplicationSecurity=true
IncludeSecurity=true
ExportQueriesTotal=3
exportQuery1=Select TOP 10000 * from CI_SYSTEMOBJECTS where SI_KIND in ('UserGroup','User', 'CustomRole', 'Calendar', 'Event')
exportQuery2=Select TOP 100000 * from CI_APPOBJECTS where SI_KIND like 'MetaData.%'
exportQuery3=Select TOP 100000 * from CI_INFOOBJECTS

IIRC, the property names are case sensitive, so you need to use the letter case that you find in the documentation.

The first query will get the users and groups plus any custom access levels, calendars, or events. If you're not using custom levels, calendars, or events you can remove those from the query.

The second query should get you any repository objects that have been configured for dynamic parameters for Crystal. If you're not using dynamic parameters, you can remove this query - just remember to rename exportQuery3 to exportQuery2 and set ExportQueriesTotal to 2 if you do this.

The third query will get you all reports, folders, instances, shortcuts, etc.

-Dell

Senior Manager, Data & Analytics
Protiviti

Many thanks for your assistance, i was considering opening and saving each report from CR 2013 and then uploading them into 2016. Will definitely give this a go.

Regards

Naz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back