Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating Reporting Services from MS SQL 2005 to MS SQL 2008 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyH1

Programmer
Jan 11, 2004
GB
I'm in the process of moving a site from MS SQL 2005 (on a win 2003 server) to MS SQL 2008 R2 (win 2008 server)

I need to copy the Reporting Services databases ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB to the new SQL 2008 R2 as we are upgrading our site. However I have noticed that the structure of the Reporting Services databases created by the MS SQL 2008 database are very different from those on the 2005 one, so I can't simply attach or recover from the 2005 backup. Is there any simple way of converting old MS SQL 2005 Reporting Service databases to the new 2008 R2 format? Some tool maybe?

I looked at OpenDbDiff as a possibility but have noticed in some cases tables are renamed, rather than just new and redundant ones so dont think this would work.

Also we have a number of other custom defined databases (created for the site and nothing to do with RS). Ive simply backed these up on the MS SQL 2005 and then restored then using these backups. they seem to work ok, but is there anything I need to be concerned about in moving them to the newer 2008 server.

Thanks
Andy

Answer my own question. Normally when Reporting Services runs the first time it detects if the database is older, and if so it updates. In our case it didnt do this, but I found going into Reporting Services Configuration manager and choosing Change database and then selecting the existing one, got this to run and the dataases were updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back