Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating print users from one print server to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2002
IE
HI,

Does anyone know the best way of migrating users from one print server to another. Basically I have 3 file and print servers and I migrated all the print queues on to one server. I am stuck on how I can migrate the users as there is 700 users or more. Has anyone any ideas or know of an application or whatever that may help...

Users should delete the old driver and then go to the server and pull down the driver again, this will give them the new printer path.

pc.gif

Jomama

What do you mean ? dont understand. Lets say my older is called server1 and the new server is server2 how do I automate the migration of users not print queues as that is done? thanks

There are a lot of multi user OSes out there. How about posting way more information. Like OS and database used for users...

Well... With that many users I would like to know what kind of printserver you are using ? Is it just a regular SW based server or a pure dedicated hardware printer server ?
What about the management and administrative rights of the jobs ? Should users be able to manage the que and/or the printer settings and input/output bin options ?
I know HP makes some great printservers for large scale prinsharing like their Prinserver Appliance 4250. This one handles the migration of users easily. Once drivers are installed (for all OS needed...) The user just needs to browse the printer on the network and it will get installed on their WKS with the administrative rights from the PSA. And this is not ment to be a commercial for HP`s PSA... Just facts about how it could be done in an easy way. Installing drivers on every connected client one by one would be WAY to costly and time demanding.

HP PSA is ok for a small company but not a large company that has thousands of users. a PSA has a limit of 50 users connecting to it thats what HP will only support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back