Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating Lotus Mailbox Archives

Status
Not open for further replies.

knappagh1

Technical User
Sep 16, 2004
GB
Is there any way of migrating archives?

Were migrating to exchange and have several users with local archives of their mailbox's. The most of these users need the archives but i cant seem to figure out a way of doing it at all. Is there a way of doing this or an application someone else has used that works?

We've done it, but is a heck of a job.
What you need to do is migrate every single Notes-file into a seperate file, and then import the whole lot into the correspondig mailbox on Exchange.
There's no quicker solution supported by Microsoft.

With kind regards,

Argetlam

SysAdmin

Hey Argetlam,

Thanks for the response.

Could you explain further exaclty what you did. At the minute, were still migrating users, but in a couple of weeks, there is going to be alot of shouting in my direction, so any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Paddy

I guess you have the Lotus Notes Migration Tool.
With this tool, you'll need to visit every single location where an archive resides.
So if a user has two archive on his/hers local hard drive, you actually have to go to this pc (or control it remotely).
With the tool, you can open an NSF-file and export it to PST.
This PST-file can then be imported in Outlook.

I'm sorry I cannot be more specific, it's been more than one-and-half year since our migration. So I cannot remember every detail.

With kind regards,

Argetlam

SysAdmin

Hi Argetlam,

The Migration Tool your talking about, is this the one that comes with Exchange? Using it, if i try to migrate from notes, it will ask for the name of the user to migrate. It doesnt let me browse to .nsf files or select which files to migrate.

If its a different tool you used, could you point me in the right direction of it (if you remember!!!!)

Regards,
Paddy

Hi Paddy,

Indeed it is the tool included with Exchange.
Sorry it doesn't bring you the solution you need.
Another thing to try might be importing the archives back onto the Notes-server into the mailbox of the user.
After that you should be able to migrate the whole mailbox towards Exchange.

Also keep in mind, that if you want to migrate Calendars too, you'll need to search for a separate tool.
I'm trying to find out the name, but I can't retrieve it at this moment. As soon as I find it, I'll let you know....

With kind regards,

Argetlam

SysAdmin

I think I did what Argetlam suggests...

Create a lotus notes mailbox and corresponding Exchange mailbox (or use your own.) Empty it.

Open each of the .nsf files and copy everything in them to a sub-folder in this mailbox?
Or did I just modify the filename in the NAB for this mailbox??

Then use migration wizard to copy it over.
Then export to a PST and provide to the users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back