Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating From Novell DHCP To 2000 Server DHCP, DNS, & WINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jegray

MIS
May 13, 2003
US
I am switching to Active Directory and am going to run DHCP, DNS, & WINS as well on Windows 2000 Server. I am currently running Netware 5 DHCP w/ no DNS. A few questions:

1. I have a 3-day lease for the IP's through Netware and am going to do the same for 2000. I currently have 192.168.1.101-254 in Netware being used for DHCP (the first 100 are reserved for static IP's), and am going to go to 192.168.1.80-254 for 2000 (only reserving the first 79 for static). My plan of action was to have the lease expire in 30 Minutes on the Netware side and then turn off the DHCP, then activate my scope on the 2000 side. Will the 2000 DHCP be smart enough not to give out duplicate IP's that are still being used?

2. Also, since I now have DNS running, is there any way to prohibit Internet access from certain users without running ISA? If not, is there any way to log the Internet traffic that is being generated by what sites are being visited and which user is going there? I would like to avoid ISA.

Thanks in advance.

Josh.

1. I believe that W2K DHCP will check to see if an address is in use before issueing, but, if a device is powered off, it will not recognize that and you could have a problem when it is turned back on with a duplicate.

2. The only way that I know of to stop internet access without ISA would be to set the gateway on the PC's IE to an invalid address. Otherwise, I don't think that there is anyway built in to stop access or record activity on the web. We run ISA and it has been great for us on stopping users that should not have access and to keep track of where people are going.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back