Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating from FPD2.0 to FPD2.6 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbybach

Technical User
Dec 6, 2011
GB
Many thanks for considering my question,

I have no foxpro programming experience.

I have a standalone application (an exe file) built with FPD 2.0; the firm of consultants that provided this program have long since vanished. I do not have the full FPD2.0 package. Along with the exe file there is a directory of program files (FXP} and project files (PJX and PJT).

However I have recently aquired FPD 2.6 professional, without the manuals, and would like to migrate to this version in order to better understand the application that is still at the heart of our sales accounting system.

I have successfully opened the project file and converted it but when I attempt to rebuild it I am asked for program files in PRG format. I think the project file contains these program files but in FXP format. The FPD 2.6 help files direct me to the developers manual which I do not have. Web searches haven't yet helped.

Everything I have read sugests a path between FPD 2.0 and FPD 2.6 but I am stuck at the moment.

Please can anyone help?

Kind Regards

Rob Hinton

There is a path from FPD 2.0 to FPD 2.6, and it's an easy one, *IF* you have all of the source code.

If you only have FXP files, then you do not have all of the source code. (FXP is a compiled PRG, the latter is the source.)

You might query the Google machine for "Foxpro Decompiler", or use the keyword "Refox". You need source. There's no getting around that requirement.

the firm of consultants that provided this program have long since vanished. I do not have the full FPD2.0 package. Along with the exe file there is a directory of program files (FXP} and project files (PJX and PJT).

As Dan suggested above, you will get NOWHERE without the source code files. And, considering the fact that you have NONE, you will have to re-create them by de-compiling what you do have.

Do as Dan suggests and first get a Foxpro Decompiler.
Then with that tool, de-compile your EXE into the separate source code files.

That having been said, other than the fact that you have recently acquired the FP2.6 program, is there a reason that you want to migrate from an ANCIENT version of FP to another, almost equally ANCIENT version of FP?

If it is only to 'read' the code so as to better understand it, I'd stay with the FP2.0 to look at the source code files and do NO migration at all.

If you want to migrate to anything remotely current, I'd suggest migrating to Visual Foxpro 9.

Yes, the migration is more involved, but (having done more than a few myself) it is very do-able.

Otherwise there would not be much point in going through the migration effort from FP2.0 to FP2.6

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thanks guys, you've got me moving again.

great site! unbelieveably helpful and friendly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back