Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating from BDE to ???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keenanbr

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
IE
We are about to upgrade a delphi 3 application to delphi 2009. We are also uograding the DB from MSSQL 2000 to 2005. We also want to move away from the BDE. Any suggestions, advice appreciated.

Regards,

1.) You can search the web for various third party vendors. is an option. I use their libraries for Oracle 8. I believe the libraries are available on the "Partner Software" DVD that ships with the RAD Studio product DVD's and can be installed for free. The "Partner Software" DVD might also ship with Delphi alone - that I don't know.

2.) You can also set up an ODBC client for your MSSQL server and use dbGo for ADO, which ships with Delphi 2009. That said, I REALLY prefer the BDE interface over the dbGo interface. The interface (API) of the libraries from are very similar to the BDE.

3.) One last option if you don't mind a little extra work is dbExpress, which ships with Delphi 2009. I have worked with dbExpress very little, but, if I remember correctly, the interface to dbExpress is also very similar to the BDE interface.

Steve.

dbGo (ADO) is the way to go.

you get great cross-database compatibility without a lot of effort.

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back