Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migrating from 5.5 to 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastguy

Technical User
Mar 13, 2002
US
dear all,iam planning to migrate from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003....i have gone through many articles but its all so confusing....
well here's the scenario

i have a win2k server PDC , exchange 5.5
plz tell me in lttle bit detail abt how i should move on with this....

thanks a ton in advance

That is a pretty loaded question.

I did it in 3 days with solid work and no disruptions.

read all the articles, read all the forums and be prepared to fire fight. I found that any problems that arouse was documented on MS.

Matt

Congrats u have done a great job
plz help me a litle bit with my confusions so i can move on and achieve the same.....rest i'll manage

i have gone through many articles and documentation but iam confused and puzzled

As i have already mentioned that i have one win2k server based PDC and all my users log into the same

Now firstly do i have to upgrade my PDC to windows 2003 as well and what if i dont upgrade

Plz tell me the steps that u have fowllowed.....i'll be highly obliged and will be thankful to you from the bottom of my heart

Let me get this straight? You only have on server???

I am currently attending the same task (Exchange 55 -> 2003 on a 2000 domain) and from what i have read, FORGET about an in-place upgrade. Simply migrate it. If you really only have the same server, i would recommend that you install a dummy server with Ex55, move the mailboxes on to that server and reinstall the "old" server with 2003.

I don't know what you found on the web, but i found alot of help on MS Technet. Besides that i found the following

I am not yet done with my reaserch, but afaics ex2003 has a bundle of tools to help your migration on its way.

thanks a ton for ur help well this is what i have done,
As u said i already have a dummy 5.5 which is also a PDC though in my real network i have a different PDC altogether . 5.5 is acting as a PDC and i have imported all the AD user information. WEll plz reveiw the steps that i have performed....

Well so 1 exch 5.5 as a PDC running Win2k server and another win2k3 server are ready.

1)Enabled the services on win2k3.
2)Going through th steps of Exchange Deployment tools ran DSScopeScan on win2k3
3) Ran DcDiag, NetDiag on both 5.5 and win2k3 without any errors.
3)Forestprep and domainprep on win2k3 without any errors
3) ADC Connector on win2k3 without any errors
4) Exchange setup on win2k3 and its ready
5) Now when i configure the connection agreements and change the exchange server information to my new exchnage server information which is win2k3 one it says that cannot connect to information store .....i have already changed the port number of ldap in 5.5 to 1389 . Which port do i have to specify here 1389 or the default 379 which is used by site replication service..if i gave 1389 than it connects to exchnage otherwise not...
6) when i try to move mailboxex from system manager it gives me an error which says

The information cannot be opened and cannot contact the source server why is it giving me this error when i have successfully gone through all the tools which check the connectivity

plz review and get back as soon as possible

well this is my yahoo id it will be great if we can chat online mastguy_1234@yahoo.com

Well... Hmm.. As I said, I am also still learning. But from what i've heard, if you mess with the standart LDAP port, your gonna have a bad time. Im afraid I cant help you on your specifik problem, but try to do som microsoft/google searches on errorcodes and/or parts of the problem description. I have in previus migrationtaskes, gotten alot of help, just from typing in part of the problem description in google and running the hits through.

My novice problem possibelities.
1. Ex2k3 can ONLY run on a 2000AD if SP3 or hight is installed (or of cause 2003AD).
2. Considering that the problem is the connection between the servers, my guess would be that it eighter LDAP, or you messed up some way along the path.

I sorry i cant me of more help, but try Google and Microsoft and see what it brings.

About IMs, i only use MSN mess. My addresse her is MJe(at)Doms.dk. But bear in mind, this is, also for me, a new book and i only read the introduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back