Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating from 4.3.6 to 5.2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvuppa1

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
Can anyone tell me if there is any easy process to move my apps from 4.3.6 to 5.2.3?
I tried to copy and paste it never worked though
-P

Not sure what process you are going through. When we moved from 4.3.6 to 5.x.x it was an Upgrade - the applications did not need to be physically moved anywhere.
Can you explain a little more, are you installing it on a completely separate server?

The new version will be on a different server, although I tried installing it on the same box but never worked. I have successfully installed 5.3.2 on a separate machine but all my apps are in 4.3.6 and I want to upgrade all of them. Do we have re-write all masters/fex's?

If you're on a Windows platform, the new version must be on a different server as they use different versions of ServletExec. As far as migrating goes, it should be difficult but it depends on what components. FEXes and MFDs can just be copied. There are migration procedures for MRE and Report Caster. Also, 436 defaulted to CGI and 52 defaults to Servlet. If using CGI, I highly recommend switching to Servlet.

I am not sure why you suggest it has to be done on a separate server.
We have the WF client on a separate box from the Rep. Server, so maybe that's why it worked for us. But our Reporting server upgrade from 4.3.6 to 5.x went fine - and our client upgrade went fine also, but we had to install the latest version of the new atlanta software. We never switched out boxes, and got it up and running.

I'm getting ready to migrate from 4.3.6 to 5.2.3..... I have to install 5.2.3 on a new box because we are doing a lease swap on the 4.3.6 server. I would appreciate any insight, comments, recommendations anyone has to offer as I prepare.

I need to install the latest version and get all my master files, focexec and domain information to the new machine.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back