Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating from 2 monitor setup to 3 monitor setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterberglin

Technical User
Mar 23, 2008
US
My old computer had a ati pci card with vga and dvi (blue and white) that ran 2 monitors just fine. "no gaming"

my new desktop, sony vaio currently has 1 integrated vga only. If I install the ati pci card into the vaio, can I run 3 monitors?

1)Integrated of Motherboard - blue vga
2a)ATI PCI card - blue vga
b)ATI PCI card - white dvi

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks

In theory you should be able to.

It depends on whether the new video card in the vio supports what you want to do? It will also depend on whether the drivers for each card will recognize the other video card.

I would end to think yes. My office computer has an on board vga port, wanting dual monitors I took a stab at installing a PCI video card. Fortunetly they were both NVidia, and I got my dual monitors not the ideal and perfect way but it works.

The only way to find out definitively is to try.

Kevin
Tektility Inc
Maximizing Potential Through Technology

Yes, they should. The two cards can be of whatever make and model - as long as your PC recognizes both, they will run together. I had a modern ATI Radeon running alongside a legacy PCI S3 card, and since my PC recognized both, they ran fine alongside each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back