Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating databases to another server

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottcabral1979

Programmer
Mar 16, 2012
US
Hi,

we currently have a SQL 2008 R2 database on a Win 2003 32bit box with 4MB RAM and 300GB hardrive.

We just installed SQL Server 2008 R2 on Win 2008 Server with 32MB RAM and 2TB SAN Storage

I have about 10-15 databases that i need to migrate over to the new server. What is the best way to migrate the datbases, logins, SQL Server jobs, etc..? Is there a good side that has step by step instructions or best practices to follow?

thanks
Scott

I cant find instructions - but i have done a test DR a few times and this is what i do!

Backup\Restore your System databases (master, model, msdb) onto the new server. Look online how to do this. Type something like "SQL restore Master" into google. You will need to put the database into single user mode first. This will move all your Users over (database server wise).

Once restored all system databases (and SQL restarted) you will see all your other databases will be there but be offline. Restore each database onto the new server. Once restore is complete they should then become operational. All users will then map back to the database server users that you did in the above bit.

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

heres how to restore master

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back