Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating data from Windows 2000 to Novell Netware 6.5 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

James99999

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2002
GB
Hi

I have been given the job of migrating data from a number of Windows 2000 servers to Novell Netware 6.5. I have only a limited knowledge of Netware.

Does anybody have any advice or know of any utility that will help me?

Many thanks

plain copy from Windows Explorer will do it.

Netware as part as Windows workstations are concerned, where it relates to files, is just as any other NT server except on the file permissions where Netware has a slightly diferent setting than NT, even tough the main basic ones apply.

But if you are migrating users and permissions also then look at the Migration Wizard supplied by Netware.

I think it will work with V6.5

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

you the consolidation wizard

good to see you are going the correct way

Thanks to all that replied to my thread

To MARVHUFFAKER

The data that I need to migrate old Windows 2000 files. Some folders and files will need to have their permissions reorganised and some files have embedded links.

Thanks

Congratulations! I'd like to recommend that you move your print servers over to Netware. NDPS is the easiest, most reliable print subsystem I've ever seen, and you now own it as part of NW 6.5. You'll never look back.

You're gonna love Netware, but I warn you the documentation can be obscure at times. This forum is excellent for clarifying those situations.

Here is some advice regarding your file permissions:

- NetWare permissions are inheritable down the file system. In other words, if you grant permissions to a folder called VOL1:DATA, any SUBFOLDER of VOL1:DATA will inherit those permissions (automatically). There are no other settings required. No other steps involved. No attributes that have to be applied to the entire subfolder structure.

- Now you might say that Windows is also the same way, but you need to understand that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference here. With WINDOWS, if you apply a permission, and you want the permissions to be inheritable, You have to tell Windows that all subdirectories below should inherit the settings.. Windows will then apply the permissions to each and every subfolder. This behavior really tells you that Windows permissions are not a 'true' inheritible structure, but one that requires manual intervention to pull off.

And to clarify, I'm not Windows bashing here, I'm just pointing this out so you are aware of the differences.

What you should soon realize is that Windows file system management is very cumbersome compared to NetWare. Understanding the differences allows you to set a minimal number of file trustee assignments to completely control your file system.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

WOOT!! Do come back and let us know how your project goes. Don't get to see many of these kinds of projects since C?O tend to play a lot of golf with Microsoft sales reps, and Novell sales reps don't know how to play golf.

Man I have a lot of stories of how the only way Microsoft won a sales was because they took the entire executive staff on a cruze, even after M$ failed all technical demos of their products going head to head with Novell.

BTW: You got some good advice on the file part, but I think the migration wizard for the users is kinda lacking if your migration process is a slow one. Good for a slit the wrists and just git-r-done, but if you want the migration to be a slower transition, then you will want to use Identity Manager. You can get away with downloading the demo and using the demo. It will work for 90days and is fully functional. Very easy to setup in most cases, and will since user information between both system during your transition.

Also, since I know you WILL have user that complain about having this Novell client installed on their PC, you don't have to have it if you don't want it. Users that go from a Windows network to a Novell network tend to blaim the Novell client for any problem that comes up. And it may even seem that way as well, because uninstalling it will stop the problem they are having. Well, in those cases, the issue is the client's not configured right, check SLP, and check other client settings and make sure it fits your network enviroment. Also, if a user just has to have the client removed and just won't listen to reason, well, give them what they want. You have Native File Access Protocol on NetWare 6.5, so as far as a Windows client is concerned, it's a windows server (even does it for Apples and ?nix).

There is also iFolder, Virtual Office, and another file access web tool I am totally spacing on right now.

k, gotta get back to work ..... zenworks ftw :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

I have to be honest... (and I think you all will agree with me based upon your answers here) I haven't heard of a windows to novell migration in years.....

YEARS....

I don't see a lot of migrations either way.. neither from windows to novell or vice versa. I see new installs and upgrades of NetWare all the time.

Not sure if your intentions were to take a potshot at Novell or what.... But according to certain industry experts, Novell was officially dead 10 years ago, and here we are still talking about new implementations... So what's your point? I didn't notice anything in your post that provided any real value to the person trying to pull off the migration.

Marvin L Huffaker
Novell MCNE (That's an N, not an S, and there is a big difference and a reason)

yeah, that and the added performance and management benefits.

I couldnt believe it when, yrs ago, someone told me NT put the file inheritance IN the file system, not in the directory.

Marv, should I covert my NW users to NDPS?
Isnt that another client to load?
What are the benefits to any other method like MS or Cups?
I remember the bi-directional stuff? like ink levels or being able to redirect a print job to a non-busy printer.

Thanks
G

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back