Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating an expansion unit from one serveraid card to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staticfactory

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2005
CA
I've been tasked to retire one of our older servers and migrate the existing drive expansion unit from the old serveraid card to a new one. I'm concerned about the partition configurations during this migration as this is our production server. Has anyone completed a similar task, and if so, are there any precautions I should take (apart from a full backup) before attempting this?

I should also add that both servers are using serveraid 6m cards.

Another ServeRAID 6M will import the existing arrays just fine. Its just like replacing a failed card in a machine. However... does the enclosure also include the boot volume?? Changing servers may result in a boot issue due to the HW differences between the servers.

hi,
after attached old expansion to the new card,
enter at bios level in 6M minisetup, and browsing menu,
choose the program: "import data from disk" (or similar).
This will copy array configuration from disk to new 6m.
bye
vittorio

Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

scsiraid: The expansion unit is entirely extended data, the boot volume was built from the bottom up. Thanks for the thought though!

victorv: That's the plan, hopefully it'll come off without a hitch.

Thanks!

It is important to know what you are moving from and what you are moving to. Code levels of the adapters will pay a role in whether it will work and there are some things to consider doing this. If you are not careful, you could hose your configuration and restoring the config might be difficult.

If the code levels between the two adapters are drastically different, one adapter may not be able to read the meta data config and fail to import, rendering the array useless on that adapter.

What adapters are you using and what are the code levels of both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back