Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating all Drives 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfa2008

Technical User
Nov 14, 2008
RS
I'm very new in RAID Hardware. I want to know in case of a motherboard failure, whether I could transfer all drives in a different same model server with everything same, and configured in same RAID. Will it work, or what would happen in case of motherboard failure, how would I bring it back online?

The RAID setup information is stored on the RAID controller and on the disks themselves.

In the case of a motherboard failure (presuming the RAID controller is on the motherboard), your RAID config would not be lost as the disks would repopulate the new RAID controller blank config with the RAID config when the server is powered up after the motherboard replacement.

In the case of a different same model server, as long as the config was blank on the server, the same principle should apply and moving the disks to the new server (in the same slots) should work too.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

Thank you for reply.

I tested it using everything same, different server completely same, and it worked.

Is there any risk for it to fail, losing configuration, and in that case data (assuming that we cannot do a backup after a failure).

If your spare server already has a RAID config on it and you move the disks over to the spare server, you may be asked during server POST which RAID config you want to use - the config on the RAID card or the config on the disks. In your instance you would always want to use the config on the disks.

Actually, I would recommend deleting the logical drives in the RAID BIOS during POST, so that the drives then write their config to a clean RAID controller.

Burt

Before you put the disks into the server :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back