Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migrating AIX 4.3> 5.2, need to break mirrored rootvg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonsky

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
US
Ppl,

If i am to migrate a system from one level to another with a mirrored rootvg, can i just go straight to migration process? or do i need to break the mirror first? which is the proper way doing migrationg in this scenario?

thanks alot!

To keep yourself safe, I would break the mirror right before you do the upgrade. This way you have a backup copy of your data you can boot to in case the upgrade fubars. If the upgrade goes smooth and your satisfied, then mirror the rootvg again.

i have the whole redbook of migration part Khz and it doesnt say anything about mirrored rootvg. thanks alot anyway, comtec17, was thinking also to break it but having double thoughts coz i find it not proper way for migration but i cant see the reason why.
thanks

I would break the mirror then perform an alternate disk migration. Doing it this way allows you to have one disk with Aix 4.3 installed and the other disk with 5.2 on it. You can then boot of either disk. This is a good method for testing if you run into any problems with 5.2 then you still have the option to boot the system back to 4.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back