Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating 6.5.3 to 8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianLevy

Vendor
Oct 14, 2012
CA
I'm currently using version 6.5.3 on my laptop, not through a domino server, just a desktop client with e-mail directly to gmail.

Tonight I did some research and decided to try the version 8.5.3 evaluation. After downloading it, it would not install with a message that it can not "Upgrade AllClient installation to Notes Clien. The upgtade you are attempting is not supported.". I'm not sure if this is because it is an evaluation version and therefore prevents it or if version 8 can not perform an upgrade from 6. There was no option to upgrade or install standalone in another directory. I do not want t perform and update/upgrade as it is only an evaluation to see if worth doing. Version 6.5.3 other than the scripting error issue that pops up when using the web browser, seems to be doing ebertything I currently want. Any thoughts as to if I decide purchase version 8 it will upgrade.

If not and I must do a clean install can I simply copy to another directory all of my .nsf, user.id files and mail directory and after installing the new Notes copy them to the Notes directory where they reside in Notes 8 and all will work. I do this when I want to take my netbook out that has Notes 6.5.3 installed and I want to update its databases. If it will not work any suggestions remembering I do not use a server.

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back