Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate WinXP Pro on RAID 5 array to upgraded controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMyLucK

Technical User
Dec 18, 2003
CA
I have XP installed on my RAID 5 array (speed required) using a 3Ware 6400. The RAID 5 performance of the 6400 card is poor compared to their newer 7000 series controller. According to 3Ware the array format is read / write compatible with the 7000 series card but the problem is getting the XP driver into the OS so I can boot with the new controller from the RAID 5 array.

I was thinking of installing the new 7000 series controller w/o any drives attached and booting with the 6400. 3Ware states multiple controllers can be used but they did not specify if they could be different models. Once in XP I can load the drivers for the new 7000 card (PnP would be nice)and then power down, swap the ribbon cables onto the 7000, change the BIOS boot device and boot into XP (assuming XP would recognize the new controller with the old array)???

I know this sounds too easy and I expect problems but any insight into what I may or may not expect to happen would be welcome.

No this will not work. You will get disk boot failure, OS not found or it will just hang. Remember that when windows boots it uses the boot.ini file to determine where the OS files are located.

So at the moment you boot path may be something like:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

If you move the disks the PC will still look at the old path to boot & obviously wont find the OS.

You could try manually changing this file but you would have to know the absolute path first.

I agree with you Rols, but if the RAID 5 is the only drive of the system, it will become the Drive0 wherever you put it.

In another way, the RAID should be done for the controller, so the BIOS should see only one disk drive... I think that "justmyluck" thinks could work, because if Win has the driver it should be ok.

Cheers.

Yes but remember that the path also specifies which scsi controller the disks are connected to, if a second controller is added the path will be differerent.

hmmmmm... U R right... so he could install the new card just to install the drivers, and then uninstall the old card. It should take the same path but with the new card.

What do you think?

Hmmm....Im dont if that would work or not - Im not sure how windows detects / allocates the paths for the SCSI cards. He may have to just have to use the same PCI slot for the new card - but Im just speculating here. If I was him I would probably just rebuild my whole system with the new card.

Or maybe try to Ghost an image of the original volume, install the new card & create the new volume then copy the image back.

Just make sure you do a BACKUP!!!! LOL

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back