Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate users to windows 2000 - Urgently!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theseekers

Technical User
Jul 22, 2004
US
Hi Tekers,

I am in need of your advice on how to do this. Our lab had a PCD (yes that's right PDC) and BDC on NT. I have also brought up a window 2000 a while back thinking of I will migrate all to w2k and retire my NTs. However, I did not have time to do this yet. The w2k is part of this domain (I forgot what role the w2k is when I join it in the current domain - if someone can show me how to check to see what role it is - I really appreciate). So basically, user authenticate through NT but other share resources are on windows 2000.

This evening, my PDC is GONE!!! Can boot up (controller failure). What is the best way to move my users to the w2k??. We only have about 12 users. I was thinking of keying them in but my ??? is since this is part of the domain then how is my client would know to request authentication from w2k rather than winNT. I will have migrate my users to it now but just want to run by the group to see if any1 has any pointer that can help me out on this.

Thank in advance.

OK.... why not promote the BDC to be a PDC using Server Manager?

With only 12 users, you can enter them manually, but the accounts and security are based on SIDs which are unique to the domain so you'd have to rejoin the computers and reapply permissions to all your files.

Really, just make the BDC the PDC.

When you're ready to move to a 2000 DC (no such thing as a PDC or BDC in 2000), then you create another BDC and pull it offline as a backup. Then you upgrade the PDC to 2000. There are various ways and details, but I'll save those comments for when you ask about it.

Thanks Lwcomputing,

After posting this, I went on and read some more, and that is exactly what I did.

I don't intend to bring up any NT systems at all and might bring up another windows 2003 this time since look like to me that I have to redo all the accounts anyway.

Well, thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate your comments.

Thanks again.

NOTE: you REALLY should bring up another BDC - when you do upgrade to Windows 2000 it's best to have a backup of your NT Domain in case something goes wrong. Install a BDC and pull it off the network. This is your backup. IF something goes wrong you can turn it back on (remove the problem upgrade machine) and make the PDC and resume working.

Thank again for your advice LWcomputing.

I will try to do this soon.

Cheers.

Take a look at ADMT before you go manually creating your users again. With ADMT you can migrate the users and the computers all in one shot over to a new Domain. Nice and clean, fairly simple if you do just a bit of reading on Support.microsoft.com. Just search for ADMT and you will find KBs on migrating users, computers and users passwords too.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back