Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate to W2K3 AD from W2K AD with EXCH2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaix

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
BE
Hi experts,

My compagny need to migrate from a ADW2K with Exchange2K to join an existing AD2K3. We need to conserve our Exchange2K. So I think I have to use ADMT. Do I need to prepare my AD2K and my Exchange2K before running ADMT? Can we also conserve Exch2K policy and permissions with the new AD2K3. What I have to do?

---- config: 2 servers with ADW2K and 1 server W2K in stand alone with Exch2K

thanks for your expertise.
Khaix

Thank you.

Effectively, I have planned to conserve our Exchange 2K server installed on a stand alone W2K server. I would like to know if I have to prepare our AD2K and or EXCH2K to join an existing AD2003 forest with a migration via ADMT ?
And how can I conserve Exch2K policy and permissions with the new joined AD2K3 (native microsoft tools or external tools) ??

Thank you.
Khaix

will you be conserving your domain in the end ???

because you can't really move your domain from one forest to another.
You can set up trusts, and a new domain within the other forest, and use AMDT to migrate users to the new domain... but i think your exch2000 will end up being left behind.

you'll most likely have to install it in the new domain and try migrating mailboxes over... and that, i dont kow how to do...

Aftertaf

getting quite good at sorting out Windows problems...
An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

Our domain name wil be changed. Joining the new AD2K3 forest with ADMT, my organisation will become a child and so domain name will be changed.

1. Do I have to prepare my AD2K3 before migration via ADMT (like adprep for an upgrade or other? I know is a migration not an upgrade)

2. How can I conserve or preserve our Exchange 2K server installed in a stand alone W2K server in the new AD2K3 with the new domain name ?

3. How can I conserve or preserve Exch2K policy and permissions integrated in AD with the new joined AD2K3 (native microsoft tools or external tools) ??

4. How can I conserve or preserve Outlook 2K Mailbox permissions with the new joined AD2K3 (native microsoft tools or external tools) ??

Thank you again.
Khaix

i think the best way for you to go about this would be to setup a forest trust between your existing domain and the new forest.

then setup your new child domain and migrate what you can with AMDT

google around for admt, i cant remember what functional level the 2003 forest has to be in for admt, but it is important!!

i dont know what the result would be of trying to remove your exch server from the domain to rejoin it to the new one, seing as exch 2000 is integrated to AD, i really couldn't tell you. there is an exchange forum so if you copy/paste your question there they might be able to shed some light and give you a solution to this...

Aftertaf

getting quite good at sorting out Windows problems...
An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back