Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate to UCM 7.x from 5.x on different hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeowen23

Technical User
May 24, 2007
I have a client with 2 UCM's running 5.x in a hosted environment where they don't own the hardware. They are wanting to install 2 new UCM's running 7.x in their own data center but I am not sure how we are going to migrate all the data from the 5.x to 7.x servers. I am wondering if an export of their existing 5.x configurations could be performed, and then converted into a CSV format, and finally reimported it into 7.x, not sure if that would work. Just wondering if anyone had an idea, I know Cisco didn't have an answer when I opened a case with them so I thought I would ask on here and see what some people may have run into. Thanks in advance.

Jacob Owen

I did a similar 'upgrade' where the customer had no access to the hosted server. It was a small site (75-100 phones) so we just did a complete new install. We did a database gathering exercise for phone types and line appearances and the users were not taking advantage of Speed dials, etc.

I believe UCM 5 has an exporting function but I've never used it. The hosting company may be reluctant to share the info with you since you are taking away there business.

I agree with pndscm. I highly doubt the hosting company will give you any data.
However, if they were to give you a database backup, you could build the new servers to the exact same version of 5.X the hosted solution is at, restore the database back up and then upgrade to 7.X

How big is the site? how many users, handsets? Are they using advanced features?

Thanks for the responses. Actually, I found out some info that changes things entirely. The UCM version is 6.1 not 5 (the customer was thinking of their Contact Center version) but the bad side is it is a shared call manager with 10+ other customers so a backup would backup far more than I would need (and I am sure they wouldn't let me anyways). I got as much of the info copied down that I could into CSV files so now I should just need to tweak them and re-import them into 7.x once I build the new server.

I am sure it won't go completely off without a hitch but most of the major hurdles will be avoided. Thanks again.

Jacob Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back