Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate to BE2010 CASO and new Media Servers? How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg29

Technical User
Jun 24, 2002
QA

Hi,

Existing:
We currently have 2 standalone BE 12.5 media servers. Each server is SAN attached to its own tape library with separate catalogs and databases.

Proposed:
Migrate to 2 new media servers (ie new hardware with more mem etc). Introduce a CASO server to centrally manage jobs and keep a copy of the catalogs for both media servers. By keeping the catalogs on more than just the media servers we want to be in a position to be able to carry out backups and restores for either media server if a library should fail.

What I've tested so far:
I have been able to migrate jobs and catalogs to a test media server with BE 2010, connected to a library, the jobs run to schedule successfully and I can browse the catalogs for restores, (i can see all tapes and job dates associated).So I know that I can migrate the media server content successsfully.

Proposed task sequence...+ question

Migrate jobs and catalogs to the 2 new media servers.
Hook up the 2 libraries via fibre to each media server. Test all jobs run successfully.
Build CASO server...

How do I introduce the CASO, integrate all jobs ( so that it controls the backup jobs and schedules on each media server) integrate catalogs from each media server so that they are visible on the CASO to perform restores from each meda server?

How do I license the 2 media servers and the CASO? (I don’t mean just running the license tool, I mean is licensing centrally managed? do we need to license each media server?)

Regards and thanks in advance for any advice,

Greg29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back