Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MIGRATE SMS 2.0 SP1 TO SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi!! I need a if you recommended mi next accion plan for a customer that want to resolve issues with remote control in WIN2000, im detect that is a bug and the solution is migrate to SP2, the customer also, wants to change the server to a new server with more capabilities. I will to do this:

1) Backup the SMS database accord the documentancion.
2) Restore de SMS DB in the new server with SMS SP1, the server has the same name that the old one. Check that all is ok.
3) Finally, migrate the server to SP2.

All recommends are wellcome.

Quiquelin

One thing you will need to watch out for - your backup may go ok with no errors but will fail on restore.
I have had this happen to me on more than one occasion. Test your backup first with a full restore to make sure your data is not corrupted.

Also you didn't mention if you had any WIN95 clients, we had to update DCOM and WBEM before the SP2 update.

Good Luck

Mike

SMSMike,
When you mentioned to upgrade DCON and WBEM before the SP2 update, what did you mean?
We didn't have WBEM on the machines untill we put SMS on. I would think that an upgrade such as SP2 would have the upgrade for WBEM. Is this true? We are working to move to SP2 with about 3000 clients and most of them are Win95. Is there any thing else we need to look for? Thanks for your help.
Elbert

Please check the MS Whitepaper "Deploying SMS Service Packs". I also found an article on preventing problems with the cliënts due to the migration in Technet.

Good Luck,

Henk

True Elbert, WBEM is installed with SMS but we still had client connectivity issues when we upgraded to SP2 and we determined that WBEM was not being updated.

We now run a check during logon scripts for certain DLLs to verify and/or update the correct version of WBEM.

Also the version of WBEM differs on WIN98 than WIN95.

Hope this helps

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back