Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migrate reports database without encrytion key

Status
Not open for further replies.

niall5098

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2005
IE
HI THERE, I have an issue whereby the expirataion period has passed on an evaluation copy of sql server. a developer created reports and never backed up the encryption key. I was wondring if it was possible to re-attach the reports and reportservertemdb to a new instance and reconfigure RS services and hope that the reports are visble in the new reports URL.

Is it possible?

I don't know. Doesn't the developer have the RDL files (or maybe even the entire project files for the report)? Unless you don't want to deal with recreating subscriptions and typing in user/passwords for reports I think you only need the RDLs.

You should be able to just reinstall over the old Eval edition doing a SKU Upgrade from Eval to Standard or Enterprise edition.

Failing that they will need to take the RDL files an upload them to the new server.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

upgrading the sofware will require a new licence which will cost the client more money.

the developer has moved on and is now uncontactable so the only information i have is the database, i can do a search for the RDL files in the mean time.

thanks

If the client is using the server for development or production use then they need a license anyway. You can't just keep reinstalling the Eval edition over and over.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back