Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate only MailBoxes from Dirty Exchange to New Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonSI

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2004
US
Hi,

I've read the follwing threads, and it did provide alot of info, but no exactly waht I was looking for. So for reference here they are:

and
which cover restoring Exchange to a Differnet computer.

Ok. Here is the situation. I've inherited an Exchange server from a previous admin. The exchange server security and consistency is terrible. I don't know what was done to the server, and if it ever goes down, I know brining it back up will be terrible.

So what I want to do is configure a brand new exchagne 2000 box in the same domain, and all I want to do is transfer the mail box from the old server to the new server, and leave all the permission and bad settings on that computer.

Now here is my question:

1. If I follow the Disaster Recovery of Restoring Exchange to a Different Computer, will the bad configuration come to, or just the mail box?

2. How do I quickly easily convert everyone's outlook 2000 to point to server B instead of Server A? We are not running GPO (this is on my todo list).

Extra Info:
a. Exchagne is not a PDC, we have a dedicated server taking care of Active Directory stuff.
b. Both server will be in same domain.

Any help or guidance will greatly be appreciated.

Ton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back