Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migrate nt4/exc5.5 to w2k3/exc2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

aime14

MIS
Oct 8, 2003
BI
Dear,
I would like to migrate my Winnt4/exch5.5 to win2003/exch2003
here is my actual LAN config :

Site1 TRUST site2
Win NT4 PDC/exchange 5.5 -----> Win NT4 PDC/WINNT4 BDC

Now i would like to change the PDC on site 1 and exch5.5 to a new windows 2003/exch 2003.
I will install win2003/exch2003 on a new server that i just bought.
how can i migrate users and mail boxes to the new win2003 server and keep the trust between the two sites.
Regards

Hmm. You might need a tool like UPromote.

1. Install your new server as BDC to NT4 domain
2. Change to PDC - trust is kept
3. Use UPromote to change XC5.5 BDC to a member server in NT4 domain
4. Upgrade PDC to 2003 DC with AD etc. and turn on 2003 native mode - this gets all your users across
5. Configure XC AD connectors
6. Install XC2003 on DC in same site as XC5.5, make bridgehead server for mail runs etc.
7. Move mailboxes to XC2003
8. Remove AD connectors and turn off old server

I've probably missed tons and there are probably better ways of doing it but that is my five minute thought. :)
Neill

Thanks Ntinlin,
It's little bit complicated, why should i change to native mode? the other site will stay in NT4 for the moment, and i think i can use only mixed mode in that case.
after point 3, can i upgrade the PDC to 2003 DC without having problem with the exchange?
It's only SITE1 that will change for the moment
Thanks
AIME

You need native mode for XC because of universal groups.

Domain trust won't be affected since it isn't a downlevel BDC. Certainly wasn't a problem here.

Umm. The new server for W2003 is now the NT PDC, this is the one that needs to get W2003 installed on it. You can't upgrade the old PDC which is now a member server, W2003 will not install if XC5.5 is on the box. Only version of XC it supports is 2003. Indeed if you had a W2K server running XC2000 you'd have to upgrade the XC before the Windows.

Neill

ntinlin..

Do you have any experience of UPromote and the affect it may have on Exchange 5.5 ?? If you have, then please read this !! thankyou..

We are currently running an Active Directory consisting of Windows 2000 servers, 2003 servers and several NT 4.0 boxes. Our AD is therefore in mixed mode. We are also in the process of migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. We have reached the stage where to continue with the Exchange 2003 migration we need to change the AD mode to native.

In order to do this we are planning to demote our NT 4.0 DC's to member servers using a tool called UPromote.

Firstly has anyone any experience of demoting a server using this tool?

Secondly, one of the NT 4.0 servers we are planning to demote is running Exchange 5.5. Does anyone know of any potential problems we could encounter after demoting the server running 5.5 ?????

Thanks v much ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back