Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate Exch 5.5 to 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluechips

MIS
Oct 17, 2002
US
I am currently running a Win2k AD network (small, 25 clients). We have an existing Exchange 5.5 Server with an Active Directory Connector on an ageing server. I would like to install Exchange 2000, but on a different (newer) Server, with minimal disruption to current users, and of course to move all existing mail (about 7 GB) to the new server. Can anyone tell me where I can find very specific directions to accomplish such a move?

Greetings,

Click on the FAQ tab - there are articles on migratingupgrading Exchange.

Kindest regards,

James

That would be faq858-3483

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Thanks JPCPB, I found only the following faq, but it does not cover my situation --

How to move Exchange to new hardware faq858-3927

Microsoft has a Knowledge Base article detailing exactly how this is done, KB297289 (

Maybe you can tell me: can I add the new E2K server to the existing 5.5 Org, then use E2K to move all mailboxes to it, then remove the 5.5 server?

You don't have to keep the same server name. As a matter of a fact, that could possibly be a nightmare. When you move mailboxes off of the 5.5 server over to the 2K one, it will change the server for you so you don't have to go to everyone's machine and manually change the name.

So, Mairving, are you telling me that I can add the new E2K server to the existing 5.5 Org, then use E2K to move all mailboxes to it, then remove the 5.5 server?

That is the ticket. You already have AD running which would make it even easier. You would basically move the mailboxes change the incoming mail connection to point to the new server, test the server for security, alter your backup scheme and go. Microsoft's document that has been previously mentioned is a good start.

It might also be helpful to get a good book on the subject like 'Mastering Exchange 2000 Server' by Barry Gerber.

Well, I installed E2K, but it does not show up in System Manager. The original Server shows in Syatem Manger, but it is ghosted, that is it is like black outline and only white objects. The E2K server is not even lisrted in the SM and there are no Exchange Services listed in "Services" either. Any ideas on what I missed here?

HOW did you install it?
According to the FAQ, or just a plain setup?
Please specify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back