Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate EX2003 to New Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nake

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2008
Now we have an Exchange server(serverA),we will migrate Exchange 2003 to a new powerful server(serverB).I have thought a lot of the way for migration.
Firstly ,I will say something about our IT envionment:
serverA:windows 2000server, Exchange 2003
ip:192.168.0.10
serverB:windows 2000server, Exchange 2003
ip:192.168.0.15

serverB is new server for hosting Exchange ,it will replace serverA for E-mail .We donot want to change the IP address,hence our public ip mapping the address of 192.168.0.10 on the firewall.

SO I have made a plan about how to migrate?
1.switch off the power of firewall, make all the incoming email stay in the firwall queue.
2.refresh the queue on serverA,make all the email come into the mailbox
3.remove all the mailbox from serverA to serverB,
4.uninstall the Exchange server on serverA
5. change serverB's ip address to 192.168.0.10

Is that available?

Why on earth would you do that?

Just change the NAT mapping on the firewall public IP to point to the internal address of the new server.

And then refer to this MS KB article for the PROPER way to remove your first XC server.

Neill

i also was very puzzled.what i was told is the internal address on the firwall willnot be changed.
so I want to know whether it will affect my new mail server when i change the ip from .15 to .10?

That's not a public IP address. That's an internal, private IP, and there really isn't any reason why you shouldn't change that. It's normal during migrations.

Item #4 isn't necessary in that order, and would likely take you longer than you think.

Hypothetically, if I was insane enough to try what you're attempting, I'd change the IP on the current server to something like .20, then change it on the new server to .10. Make sure you do an ipconfig /registerdns so that your DNS is updated.

That should allow mail to keep flowing (with a LOT of assumptions being made). You could then move mailboxes at will. Certain restrictions apply. Offer void where prohibited. Your mileage may very. Don't try this at home.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: The Complete Reference

Thank you ,guys!Your suggestion sound nice,and I will do this migration tomorrow .If any question ,I will follow,keep in touch!

nake- an IT guy from Shanghai ,China.Thanks for your help!

nake

Welcome to the forum. You have the benefit of advice from two of our strongest members in ntinlin and 58sniper, please pay attention to what they are trying to tell you.

58sniper said:
if I was insane enough to try what you're attempting

insane = crazy = not a good idea.

I have nothing further to offer you and will head to the sidelines with a bag of popcorn. I wish you the best of luck!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Veh. What you are proposing shows you shouldn't be the one doing this work.

Unless of course you get some solid details on how to progress and follow them to the letter.

Don't want to do that? OK, Tony - pass the popcorn...

The migration was succeed,now the new mail server works well.Anyway,thank you for all the suggestion.

Did you follow EVERYTHING to the letter in 822931?

If not then you WILL get bitten down the line whether you think everything is working well at the moment or not.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back