Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate Data from Celerra to NetApp FAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

katama777

Technical User
Mar 10, 2007
US
I am looking to migrate data at the file system and/or quota->qtree level from EMC Celerra to a NetApp FAS. The back end of the Celerra is 3 CX700s, and the NetApp is a FAS 3070 with built-in disk shelves.

The Celerra has 3 nas_pools, one per CX, at about 15TB each, 45TB total. The Celerra is in one data center, and the FAS is in another data center about 2000 feet away, with a 10GB networking pipe between the two datacenters, but there is no fibre infrastructure between the two, so no ndmpcopy. I do not need to migrate all the data at once, but gradually want to move off the Celerra. Right now we are mounting exports from both NAS boxes on an admin host and using rsync to move the data over, but rsync is very inefficient.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am pretty sure we have access to SAN Copy, but I have only heard of that moving data at the LUN level, which I do not want. I was thinking about NetApp VFM, but someone shot that idea down, not sure why as I don't know much about that product.

Thanks ahead,
Katama

but there is no fibre infrastructure between the two, so no ndmpcopy"

On the netapp side, you can do ndmpcopy over tcp/ip. Is that a celerra limitation?

I am not sure, will have to research that with EMC. Thanks, I will post back when I find out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back