Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microwave LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankins1984

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
GB
Does anyone here know anythink about microwave links,eg what speed,etc?

thanx Matthew Hankins

Network Technicain @ DGI Hereford

Sure..whats your question? It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Well i would like to know some genaral info, like what the connection speed are,the range (1-90miles,etc) and if they have to be line-of-sight or not

thanx for any info you can provide Matthew Hankins

Network Technicain @ DGI Hereford

Well that is still pretty vague, but, when you say connection speed I am assumming you mean bandwidth. Generally, that is the consideration, how much bandwidth the circuit has. The range is dependant on antenna gain and frequency of the microwave. As for line of sight, absolutely necessary.

Here are some general parameters. Systems in the 2,4,6 Ghz range can make make hops up to about 45 miles. When you get into the higher bands such as 18, 23, and 45 Ghz the range tends to be much shorter such as 1 to 5 miles.

Bandwidth is pretty variable, depending on the system and operating frequency, but can offer in excess of 30 MHz.

Line of sight is essential, in fact more than essential. Not only do both antennas have to be able to see each other, there are fresnel zones along that path that also must be relatively free from obstruction. Amount of precipitation in the area, fog, soil conductivity, standing water, etc can cause problems in the path as well.

Source - Telecommunications Essentials by Lillian Goleniewski

Hope that helps It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

An interesting post Daron...

I think one of the questions Matthew posed was what speed of connection could be obtained. We refer to copper and fibre computer networks as 100Mbps, 1Gbps, etc., so what speeds are possible with the systems that you've described above?

I note that you're based in the U.S. - do you have to obtain a special licence (from FCC?) before you install and operate these systems in the microwave bands?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back