Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft's really hidden files 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. It is fairly common knowledge that this type of info is accessible to those with the "inside scoop", but it sure is a lot of fun to actually learn the whys and hows of it!

Thanks for posting that! ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

Very good bit of detective work and some of it is true since I did a search for the files they mention myself. However, if you delete some cookies you may have to remember login details of every site you subscribe to, this one included. It wouldn't be the first time I've made that mistake.

I am a little concerned that the author elected not to add their contact address to the page though. They are issuing a disclaimer and telling users to delete files from within the Windows system areas and registry keys. I'd feel a little more at ease following the instructions if I knew who to send the law suit to if everything went pear shaped after I'd done exactly as they had instructed.

My Idea of an OS is one that operates the system not a self contained package of every piece of software ever invented.

It is a classic, an old one, but more a classic of how far some people's paranoia extends than anything else. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

That is so lame. Such common knowledge

FatmanSuperstar- Common knowlege or not, old news or not, it can still good information.

The cure for many diseases have been known for some time. I have a hunch that you would not be happy if the doctor proclaimed YOUR disease as "lame" and "common knowledge" instead of offering help, additional information, insight into your issue, or even keeping his disparaging commentaries to himself.

deh- Don't hesitate to continue to offer information when you think that it is appropriate!! Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Good for you Mudskipper.

It's obviously not that common knowledge since I've been on the net for 12 years and only knew a small portion of the hidden files the web page refers to. Cookies have been scorned as potential spies since they first came into operation, but it's only recent, (in terms of time the internet has been operating), that others have been able to use trojans etc to inspect other files on another PC. Until this was possible, stored cache files have never been thought of as security problems.

I'm sure that I am not the only one that is unaware of the extent of potential internet security risks we face on a daily basis.

My Idea of an OS is one that operates the system not a self contained package of every piece of software ever invented.

It is surprising how few people really know the dangers of the internet. Instant messengers and pagers, MP3'3, e-mail. And the list goes on. So because you think you know everything, sit back and let the ones who don't learn. We all learn something new every day. Just because you heard about it before someone else does not mean that everyone else has the same information sources as you. Have patience and maybe someday we'll meet up to your expectations of hhow smart we should be! Great post MUDSKIPPER [sup]Tiger[/sup][sub]Flight[/sub] [tiger]
Everyone has their two cents worth. Lets all try to donate our two cents and maybe we all can come up with a Dollars worth of advice!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back