Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft wraps up special Windows 10 edition for China's government 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet there's no tracking or "experience" spyware in this version . . .
[rofl]

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Wonder if they offer the "Chinese edition" on MSDN.

Johnherman, I assume that you are joking. I will guarantee that the new windows 10 have built in spy ware so that anyone using it in china is monitored 24/7.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

That's what I was thinking too!!!!
Haupter did not detail the changes Microsoft made for the Chinese government edition
Special Edition of Windows 10 >>> Just for China >>> Insert state of the art spying feature intentionally >>> Profit?!?!

If Microsoft was being patriotic, they would have left China to run more easily hacked Windows XP and Windows 7, though if everyone's paranoia about Windows 10 is correct OR if this is a "special" version for China, it just might have "phone home" capabilities.

If I was China, I wouldn't trust Windows 10 and keep using bootlegged XP!!!

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

yeah, but it doesn't have the GENUINE Windows NSA spyware !!!!!
This copy of Windows is not Genuine !!!!

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

You seriously think Microsoft will outwit the Chinese government on this?

It's a cat and mouse game, but I would imagine that China would scope out the proposed build VERY carefully before accepting it. But, then Microsoft could roll out a special "spy update" as a special Chinese windows update.

That's ASSUMING that Microsoft would cooperate with the U.S. government AND that Windows 10 is being used that way at all.

But they NEED Windows 10 so that they can learn to HACK IT better.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

>I would imagine that China would scope out the proposed build VERY carefully

The Chinese government controls the Internet in China (or, as Wikipedia puts it 'online access routes are owned by the PRC government, and private enterprises and individuals can only rent bandwidth from the state'). Very difficult for W10 to phone home without the government knowing about it, or being able to block it.

Why not by SSL which Windows 10 uses for its phoning home? That won't pass through?

Everything in China goes through the governments firewall and routers. They can trace everything that goes in and out of china.

Bill
New York State, USA

>Why not by SSL

So what if it is SSL? They won't (and don't) care. It was the use of HTTPS (and thus SSL/TLS) that caused them to block Wikipedia.

They might not be able to read the contents but if all their windows 10 machines started to phone home to a particular server or set of servers, that IP address would be blocked immediately.

Bill
New York State, USA

Right OK. You're saying they can BLOCK the phoning home but not know what's going on. In the end, they win though via the sheer blocking regardless of content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back