Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Word Spelling Check Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerjim

Programmer
Jan 4, 2001
PH
Hi:

Where can i get info on how to create a dictionary for the spelling checker of word to use. I would like to create a Tagalog dictionary (Tagalog is the basis of Filipino, the national language of the Philippines) for spell checking Tagalog documents.

jerry

Hi Jerry,

You can create your own Custom Dictionary with a list of words - Tools > Options > Spelling and Grammar > Custom Dictionaries. Is that what you are after?

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Check if Microsoft already have Tagalog among their long list of available languages. (Tools> Language> Set Language.) My version of Word 2002 does not, but offers lots of other options, including Icelandic, a dozen variants of Sami and two versions of Nepali.

If they aren't already doing it, get up a petition for them to correct this. Multinational companies are sensitive to their image and often respond well to polite but determined requests.

You could also teach selected Tagalog words to your English spell-checker using your Custom Dictionary, as TonyJollans suggests. But you'll need to do that one word at a time. Microsoft Word is actually smart about languages it knows: I occasionally write documents with bits of French or Latin and it can be set to check those passages in their own language. Or to refrain from spell-checking those sentence, which is another option on Tools> Language> Set Language.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

PS. You can also add [Set Language] as an icon on your toolbar, if you're likely to be needing it a lot. Tools > Customise > Commands and look for the icon.

Note that this will only work if you are allowed to update the 'normal' template, or can create a template of your own.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back