Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Word Returns Erroneous Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvjim

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
About 4 years ago I converted some documents from AS/400 Office to Microsoft Office. The documents converted just fine using Microsoft's "CONVPACK". I have recently begun the process of updating all of the processors these documents being accessed from and am receiving a variety of problems. First, when I'm able to update one of the computers to service pack 4 then on into the Microsoft Update process which updates Office I'm given the error Message "This file needs to be opened by the RFT-DCA converter, which may pose a security risk if the file you are opening is a malicious file". I then need to click on either yes or no. I've tried changing the security level and that has not corrected the problem.

Secondly, when I've needed to replace a processor, the document opens with a file conversion window that asks me to select the encoding that makes your document readable, which none of the options allows me to actually read the document. I get nothing but unreadable information.

I've tried searching for a solution to this problem using Google with no success. There is a conversion product available from Microsoft but that doesn't seem to correct either problem.

Any ideas?

I neglected to mention the operating system is a combination of Windows 2000 Professional & Windows XP. The Microsoft Word Product fails with Office XP & Office 2003.

Hi wvjim,

The Converter Packs for Office 97, 2000, and XP were withdrawn by Microsoft because of potential security issues. Consequently, a number of the converters that were previously avalaible are no longer supplied. The Office 2003 version of the Converter Pack (which works with Office 97, 2000, and XP) doesn't cover the same range as before.

You can still get an older version that may have the filters you need here:

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Thank you very much, macropod. That version of the converter pack requires that you be using a version of office below xp. I still have the older version of the converter pack but that creates the message about converting from RFT-DCA that I must respond to. Any other ideas?

Hi wvjim,

I'd suggest seriously considering updating your AS400's output to something that doesn't require an unsupported converter (eg CSV).

Other than that, you could keep one machione with an older version of Office just for this task ...

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back