Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Word: Opening file from ‘Documents’ shortcut = flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrixUSA

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
OS XP Pro SP2, Office 2000

When opening a word file from the ‘Documents’ shortcut, with the program not launched, the tab in the toolbar flashes orange and the banner flashes active window blue to non-active window blue. If the file is launched with the program already open this problem does not occur. This particular file is password protected and this flashing seems to happen when the status line reads: “Requesting virus scan.”

Also of note, when Ctrl+Alt+Delete flashing goes away and word asks for the password to open the file and the file opens normally.

Not so much a critical problem as much as odd. Anyone experience same and any solutions…?

Cheers.

Update
Just opened a completely different file, with no password protection, file opened normally but when I clicked on properties, same flashing described above… so, seems to be a word issue more than a particular file issue…

Another Update

Sorry for the multiple posts but I’m trouble shooting this as I post. New development: when I turn OFF Office protection in Norton, problem does not appear and I cannot duplicate issue. Running Norton Internet Security 2006 ver 9.0.5.5 with Anti Virus 2006 ver 12.2.0.13 both OEM. Interesting issue...

The flashing is because Word is prompting for user input but is not the active application (in Windows). Given that the problem goes away when you stop Norton it sounds as though Norton is making itself the active app and maybe has not finished doing whatever it does before Word wants to ask for the password.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Professional Office Developers Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back