Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Word Creates Blank Page with Mail Merge

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAST39

Programmer
Sep 21, 2012
US
Hi everyone,

I am creating a mail merge document for a two page form letter in Word 2010. Everything looked fine until the 13th record where I noticed it was creating a third blank page.

I thought I had fixed the problem by adjusting the bottom margin. The blank pages disappeared in the merged document. However, the really weird thing is when I save the Word document, the blank pages reappear! I am at a loss how to get it to not produce this extra page. It is a 1000 page document so I can't afford to waste that much paper in printing.

The values being fed to the mailmerge... any chance they were copied and pasted from a Word Doc somewhere? Reason I'm asking is that sometimes when you copy/paste between programs, and particularly with Word, you can have added characters such as line breaks and new lines added that could cause something like that to happen, I think.

Any way you could use a replace function and/or trim function around the values that are being sent off to mailmerge? I've honestly had very little to do with mailmerge through the years, so I do not fully know how it works. Thankfully, I've not needed to use it for the vast majority of my career.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

The description suggests one or more mergefields contain sufficient data to cause an extra line to be inserted into the document, thus pushing everything else down. The fact you're getting a blank page as a result also suggests there are empty paragraphs etc. below the last 'print' line on the relevant page in the mailmerge main document.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back