Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

!!! Microsoft Word crashes system..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi all,

I am using Win2k pro workstation patched with SP2. Whenever I run MS Word, after a short while, it would crash my system and show the Blue Screen of Death.

Below are the error messages:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*** Stop: 0x0000001E 0xC0000005,0xA00D7DED,0x00000000,0x00000BC5)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
**** Address A00D7DED base at A0000000, Datestamp 3AA010B4 - win32k.sys
Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had patched my office 2000 with SP2 also, set my paging size to be 250MB(I have 128Mb RAM).

I am using DELL Latitude 400 Laptop.

Any advice from anyone please..?

Regards,
Ant.

does this occur from simply launching Word or from any specific document? which version of Word are you using?

Hi jrdebug,

I am using Office 2000 Standard. The software that I used was Word 2000 when it crashed. This happened a lot of times.

Powerpoint crashed my system once.

Regards,
Ant.

Hi
I have experienced similar problems of Word 2000 crashing WinMe system. The Word 2000 belonged to small office suite OEM copy. The only solution I could find was to remove the SmallOffice suite and install the Standard pack when everything worked fine. So I feel different packs have different problems hidden or solutions hidden !!!!!!!!!!!!!.
ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com
LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

Hi Ramani,

I had tried to uninstall Office 2000 (Standard) from my laptop, rebooted, reinstalled the Office 2000 again, patched it with Office Service Pack 2, but it still came out the dreadful BSOD..

Anyway, thank you for the possibilities..

Regards,
Ant.

sorry. what i meant was, were you opening a previously created document in an old version of Word or Word crashes even if you are working on a new one? do you have any other language enabled on your system aside from English?

we had problems like this from old documents created with previous versions of Word. what we did was identify which versions these documents were created and made Word 2000 open them in the same document version specified under file types.

keep posted.
:)

Hi Jrdebug,

They were new documents created, after some time, it crashed the laptop.

Powerpoint 2000 also crashed my laptop..

Do you think could be drivers problems..?

Where do you think the setup had gone wrong?

Please comment.

Regards,
Ant.

Hi Antonio,

Does this look familiar (look at the Event Viewer if you haven’t yet):
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 7/24/2001
Time: 1:07:59 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HOLLAND2
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0xa00d7ded, 0x00000000, 0x00000bc5). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini072401-01.dmp.

I have been fighting this annoying problem for a very long time on Gateway Solo 9300. I tried reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling Win2K and all my applications at least twice. I have upgraded Win2K and MSOffice with all the latest and greatest patches and service packs. And it's still doing it.
As cold and vicious as it may sound, I am somewhat glad that you’re having the exact same problem on a different hardware platform. You know what I mean – it’s not my particular laptop then.
We should probably try to coordinate our efforts in identifying the problem. Let’s try to compare our hardware and see if we can pinpoint it to a particular device interfering with the Office. We may even be able to get some free service time from MS.
By the way, the last time the crash occurred I was only running Outlook and Windows Explorer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is what my system looks like:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer GATEWA
System Model SOLO9300
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~400 Mhz
BIOS Version PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\System32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Locale United States
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 163,312 KB
Available Physical Memory 16,500 KB
Total Virtual Memory 554,320 KB
Available Virtual Memory 267,800 KB
Page File Space 391,008 KB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

IRQ Number Device
9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
9 ATI RAGE MOBILITY-M1 AGP (English)
9 Texas Instruments PCI-1450 CardBus Controller
9 Texas Instruments PCI-1450 CardBus Controller
9 D-Link DFE-680TX CardBus PC Card
9 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
9 MINI PCI type 3B Data Fax Modem by 3Com
8 System CMOS/real time clock
13 Numeric data processor
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
12 Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2
4 Communications Port (COM1)
6 Standard floppy disk controller
14 Primary IDE Channel
15 Secondary IDE Channel
5 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
5 ESS Maestro2E PCI AudioDrive (WDM)
5 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device

[Display]
Name ATI RAGE MOBILITY-M1 AGP (English)
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C4D&SUBSYS_9300107B&REV_64\4&415A68E&0&0008
Adapter Type ATI RAGE Mobility P/M AGP 2X (A21/2), ATI compatible
Adapter Description ATI RAGE MOBILITY-M1 AGP (English)
Adapter RAM 8.00 MB (8,388,608 bytes)
Installed Drivers ati2drab.dll
Driver Version 5.00.2195.4043
INF File oem4.inf (ati2mpab_enu section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 90 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32

[USB]
Device PNP Device ID
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7112&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&3A
USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&15736A3F&0
USB Human Interface Device USB\VID_0430&PID_0005\5&B114931&0&1 (SUN Keyboard)
HID Keyboard Device HID\VID_0430&PID_0005\6&38AA0059&0&0000 (SUN Keyboard)
USB Human Interface Device USB\VID_046D&PID_C00C\5&B114931&0&2 (Logitech Mouse)
HID-compliant WheelMouse HID\VID_046D&PID_C00C\6&218B4579&0&0000 (Logitech Mouse)

[Disk Drives]
TOSHIBA MK6412MAT

[CD-ROM Drive]
TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_U241

[Floppy Disk Drive]
High-Capacity Floppy Disk Drive (LS-120)

I also have an APC UPS hooked up to the serial port and an HP1120C printer to the parallel port, as well as SONY GDM-500PS monitor hooked up to my docking station.

Please let me know if you have any of the listed devices and we’ll go from there.

Best regards,
Glenn.

Hi Glenn,

I noticed that we had the common type of ATI video card.
So far I had downloaded from the hardware supplier, Dell the latest BIOS and hardware drivers for Windows 2000.

Why dun u try to download the gateway hardware drivers for windows 2000.

I am still putting the laptop on reservation.

Please reply.

Regards,
Ant.

On Observation I mean..sorry.. : p

Please update the drivers and update us..

Thank you.. : )

Regards,
Ant.

Hi Antonio,
I went to the DELL site and figured that you probably had an ATI chipset, but different than mine since your system is much younger. I downloaded the latest drivers from the Gateway site only a few days ago. The thing that we may have in common related to ATI is a service called Ati HotKey Poller. I don't use any hot keys, so I disabled that service. And guess what - I can't break the damned thing. I opened 3 Words, Exel, 5 IEs, Outlook, and a couple of Exceed sessions for fun. I keep doing all the things that used to break it like copying and pasting, typing away in all 3 Words, etc... So far so good. Try it and let me know.
Good luck.
Glenn
P.S. I suggest trying to break it before you disable the service. Maybe the've already updated it for Dell.
I think that the secret in breaking it is to open many memory-hungry apps.

Hi Glenn,

What do u mean by breaking it? Would you like to explain further on this?

u mean kill the problem of solving the Exception error?

I went to the MSN KB to search also, but it only mentioned to patch it with Windows 2000 Service Pack 2.

Rgds,
Ant : )

Have you removed Office Sp2, as according to many reputible it press consultants office sp2 causes more problems than it fixes. Have you removed both service packs for office removed office, reinstalled office and run without the service packs? Why apply the two service packs? did they fix a specific problem or were they installed just because it was availible.
If you must have a serivce pack install only sp1 for office and the email virus patches which need this service pack and use an upto date virus/attatchment scanner.

Hi Vor.,

This problem is not caused by virus.
I had scanned my laptop a lot a lot of times..
Anyway, will try to reinstall office another time.

I had formatted my hard disk and reinstall the Win2k Pro. OS again, reinstall office2k(no SP) but still the same..

Thank you for pouring in..
Regards,
Ant.

Antonio,
Sorry for the use of the lingo. By trying to break it I mean generating conditions that would cause the crash (blue screen). A good way to crash it was opening a couple of IE sessions, Outlook, and a couple of MS Words. Then copying and pasting a large image or a big chunk of a document and start typing away in one of the MS Word windows. It would usually crash very quickly. What I am saying is that disabling ATI HotKey Poller service seems to resolve the issue. I've tried to cause the system to crash since disabling the service and I couldn't. I didn't have any problems doing it before. I am going to assume that this service is the cause of the problem and take it up with Gateway and ATI.
Regards,
Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I have disabled the service, now putting it under observation.

Shall keep this thread posted should I see another dreadful BSOD..

Cheers,
Ant. : )

I too am getting this Blue Screen with a Dell Latitude 400. To me it seems completely random, although it is my bosses machine, so I can't be sure of that.

I would like to know if turning off that ATI Service has worked for you guys, for an extended period of time... ?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi all,

Ya.. finally. *touchwood*
so far so good..
now the Latitude 400 has not hanged so far.

I had asked the Dell support engineer to come down to take a look. They changed the motherboard and RAM.

Hope this helps.

I believe this is due to good batches and bad batches of this laptop series. What do you think guys?

Anyway, after changing the laptop, I immediately flashed the BIOS to A01.

Now everything is fine.

Cheers,
Ant.

Antonio,
Have you had any crashes since you disabled that service and has your Dell support engineer confirmed that the problem was related to the ATI Service? As you may remember, I have a Gateway Solo 9300 machine - not a Dell. I wonder how these things could be related to a specific batch of Dell motherboard.
Regards,
Glenn

Hi Glenn,

For this ATI service, initially I had disabled this service and was running fine, so far so good. But I sometimes need to use the hotkeys, i.e. project to projectors(CRTs)..

Hence i gotta enable back the service in order for me to use presentation...

To kill the problem once and for all, I asked the Dell support to come down to change the m/b and the memory.

so far so good.. *touch wood*

Why dun u try to change the RAM?

Regards,
Ant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back