Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MIcrosoft Updates/Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunch

MIS
Oct 5, 2001
US
Hi all,

We're a small liberal arts college with around 2000 desktops (including students). We're a Netware shop (NW6.1 SP2).

What we're trying to figure out is how can we combine Microsoft's updates/patches into a install that we can push to our desktops requiring the users to only have to reboot their system once?

We'll be using ZenWorks 3.0 to do the push.

TIA
Chelvan

I'm not sure I understand your question. The patches should be able to be deployed just like you deploy other applications. Do a snapshot, create the app, and then push it out. Force a reboot at the end.

Is that what you're looking for?

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Marvin,

Thanks for responding.

I'll try re-phrasing my question.

How do we take all the different Hotfixes and Service Packs that Microsoft makes available for the desktops OSes (Win2K and WinXP) and deploy them to our 2000 users, and limit the desktop user to only 1 reboot?

Many of these Hotfixes and Service Packs require an immediate reboot after installation, when downloaded directly from windowsupdate.com. If we were to try and push, say 10 or 20 of these hotfixes at a time, the number of reboots required would turn many of our users against this process and us!

So we're looking for ways to keep up with Microsoft's Hotfixes and Service Packs and at the same time not inconvenience or frustrate our users.

Any and all advice is appreciated, Thanks!

Chelvan

Well, if there was only 1 or 2, I'd say to try to combine them into the same zenapp. But at the rate MS puts out patches, you'll never make that work.

Just do a snapshot and separate app for each one. Push them all out to the users, but configure the app so it doesn't reboot their systems. You know their system is going to crash eventually anyway, so when it does, that will take care of the reboot.

Or you could just have the LAST app that installs do the reboot.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I will try them out.

Have a Great Day!
Chelvan

Technically, I dont' see why you couldn't build them all into the same app. Just run snapshot. then the installs. reboot as many times as necessary, but then at the end run the snapshot again to find the changes. The more I think about it, the more I like that idea.

Combine them with qchain and create a snapshot?
That way you could roll out as one app and only need one reboot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back