Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft update = "spyware"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzman111

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2003
US
Today, when the Microsoft automatic update program informed me there were software updates I needed, I clicked on it to proceed and download them. Then, when they had already downloaded the "update", they informed me something to the effect that "it was a special program designed to see if all of my Microsoft programs are registered in my name." They said this was in an effort to "deter software piracy." They also imply that program will harrass me until I "take corrective action." Hey, I don't know what I've got on my PC, but it's no *^&% business of Microsoft. I regard this action as sneaky, obviously self-serving and unethical. Now the little icon sits there in my tray telling me I "need to install" this program. How do I purge this icon?

This is Windows Genuine Advantage. It validates that you have a legal copy of Windows. If you've installed any of the recent updates like IE7, you've already run it. It comes around every so often. Just let it run.

jazzman111 said:
it was a special program designed to see if all of my Microsoft programs are registered in my name

Are you paraphrasing, or is that what it actually said?? Sounds like spyware trying to trick you in some way, not Microsoft's WGA.

I'm paraphrasing somewhat, but that is the gist of what the message said. It starts out by saying something like, "in order to guard against software piracy, we want to install this program to ensure that all Microsoft products are registered in your name." As I said above, it then goes on to say something like, "in the event we find an unregistred product, you will be regularly reminded to take the appropriate action." --In other words, I'll be enabling Microsoft to snoop through my hard drive, give up my right to privacy for the sake of their self-serving interests, and then allow them to harass me until I am forced buy and register their software. Has no one else seen this message? Now I'm wondering if it is some time of malware.

905474 is the patch in question (likely), and yes it's spyware by all legitimate objective definitions.

One more reason that cohesive legislation needs produced on the matter to outlaw it.

It is essentially what Genuine Advantage is. Do I agree with it? I'm not really sure to be honest - if it worked 99-100% of the time then yes I would. Microsoft have a right to make sure that every installation of their product has been paid for.

However there are times when the check does not work correctly - normally a call to MS sorts it out though.

Like Smah says if you have installed IE7 or some of the other non-security updates then it is likely that you already have WGA installed on your machine and this is just an update.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Like Smah says if you have installed IE7 or some of the other non-security updates then it is likely that you already have WGA installed on your machine and this is just an update.

Actually this is a different patch entirely (892130). The notifications piece (905474) seems to be definitely what is in concern here. The notifications piece is not required for what is described in the quote.

Also if you read, it's an optional download.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Also if you read, it's an optional download.

Confused here. 905474 has always come across as a critical update, and Microsoft recently has publically said that they're going to force and reforce it on people that set their machines up to not automatically download everything but notify.

Is it optional elsewhere other than the US?

It is optional. When you click on the windows update prompt, you can automatically install all available updates, or you can choose which to install.

You also have the option to stop windows prompting you to install that particular update again.

At the end of the day, it's all in the OS small-print, which you agreed to when you installed it. You don't buy your own copy of XP, you buy a license to legally use it.

Lionori, you hit the nail on the head. I was given an option to choose not to install this piece of software and I took that option, as well as the one not to be asked to install it again. There is at least that bow to their customers' privacy on MS' part. Incidentally, for what it's worth, my Windows operating system was purchased with my PC and is registered in my name. And I've not any objections to having the MS update program run on my machine at anytime before. This time, it did.

Ah excellent. I was unfortunately caught unawares by it, too. I ended up doing a system restore back to the day before, then choosing not to install it.

I noticed that a short while after rejecting the update, they released a new version of WGA which was set to install by default. Definitely a good idea to check future windows update prompts, just in case they do it again!

Lionori, you hit the nail on the head. I was given an option to choose not to install this piece of software and I took that option, as well as the one not to be asked to install it again. There is at least that bow to their customers' privacy on MS' part

It seems you all don't quite understand. Microsoft's goign to keep nagging at you on this one. You can use that option to not install if it's set, but they'll keep pestering you with it (i.e. you won't be able to set it to not notify and never see it again).

Well, Glenn, it looks like you are essentially correct. I happened to be listening to a "tech support" type local radio program where they were discussing precisely the subject of this thread. Here's the gist: Yes, Microsoft's program IS intrusive, but it's mainly aimed at the very extensive foreign piracy of their operating systems. They're basically saying, OK, you stole our operating system, but we'll be damned if we will let you also download for free all the subsequent updates we come up with. And if that means we have to include all of our mainly rule-abiding North American users, too bad. We're Microsoft. We can do it. Oh, and if you don't allow us to download THIS update, you won't be able to download any other updates. Both guys on the radio show said they went ahead and allowed the download. They said, "it's no big deal.

I've never seen a legit copy that couldn't be fixed by a phone call. All you do is read the label from the machine. We used to do it a few times a week in the shop.

Sometimes, they ask a few questions, other times, they give a # immediately.

-David
2006 & 2007 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back