Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft to Stop Selling XP June 30, Should we use Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloomlight

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2006
US
Microsoft announced that June 30 is the cut-off date for selling Windows XP. Currently, all of our PCs are running Win XP pro over a LAN. If need to buy new PCs after June 30, Vista will be the only choice. How does Vista work with business network?

Also, we have a small group of users using remote access from their home computers. They may be forced to get Vista when buying new PCs. With majority of PCs running XP and some PCs using Vista on the same network, will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

from infoworld. sign the petition to save XP

Mike Butler
Now former Iseries Guy -> PC's back, SUNs gone Iseries gone- BooHoo
"Never put off 'til tomorrow what you should have done yesterday

You know, since Vista SP1 has come out, and solved SO many issues, I'm pretty happy with Vista overall.

I haven't run into any DRM walls (even with thousands of MP3's), and almost everything except 10+ year old software has run.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Microsoft isn't going to listen to the petition. When I run Vista on my Macbook, I have no problems. But like I said, dell will continue to sell XP

Vista will integrage with your existing XP network without problems.

I've been slowly integrating Vista onto my network, the IT dept was the first back in September and we figured out all the kinks which weren't too many but at least we feel comfortable running it. About a month ago I started deploying it out to our users as we add new PCs or have to reinstall the OS. For the last year we've been buying Vista on our machines and then installing XP so almost half of our machines can use Vista. I figure by the end of this year most everyone on my network will be on Vista.

So far so good. Deploy it out slowly maybe to a couple of users for a month or two until you work out the needs of your network.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Thanks for all of your answers. I maybe use Rob's advice to deploy it slowly.

the biggest complaint is the cost of the new hardware to support Vista and the driver problems.

most home/small office/newbie/casual users are the ones complaining.

me, i just complain about the cost because i have 4 in college[bigcheeks]

most home/small office/newbie/casual users are the ones complaining.

The problem is they shouldn't be complaining. Those people can use XP until they have a need to upgrade their PC's. While Microsoft won't sell XP they will still support it for at least a couple of more years. I have a network of about 45 users and any new machine I have purchased over the last year were purchased with Vista, so I have a good 20 machines that were purchased with XP and as those go out of their 3 year warranty, the first ones beginning in January, I'll look at getting new machines and those will support and be purchased with Vista.

You don't HAVE to upgrade. A common misconception. XP will work fine and have updates & patches at least until June next year. By that time Vista will have been out for 2 and a half years plenty of time for some older machines to give out and/or people have opportunities to purchase new ones. Computers are like cars, most will only keep them 3 to 4 years max anyway.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Computers are like cars, most will only keep them 3 to 4 years max anyway.

That depends on your budget. Trying to get money for PCs in my organization is like pulling teeth. We still have Pentium II and III servers and Pentium III workstations in use. We run 'em until they die, which appears to be quite a long time. Even if they all up and died this year, we wouldn't have the funding to replace them all...

MS has extended XP for low end desktops til 2010

Computers are like cars, most will only keep them 3 to 4 years max anyway."

I was sad to have to retire our Compaq Presario last night -- too many hardware failures. Not even brand new memory helped the poor thing.

Windows 98 just ain't what it used to be.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

No. Vista is nothing but problems. If Big Brother Ballmer forces Vista, then it's either XP until the machine dies or Linux.

----------
Measurement is not management.

I still like Windows 2000. Call me old fasioned, cause that's what I am. (I'm running Vista, but I like 2000). 2000 was and always will be a workhorse, just like NT was.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP
[americanflag]
Support our Troops!
Vote John McCain

i have purchased more than a few Dell PCs and i finally got an email saying "get new PCs with XP while the supplies last" or something to that effect. anyway when i checked the link to the details i found out they are offering XP HOME not PRO.

i wonder if this means that if you get one of these machines then you would have to install all of the upgrades and patches to bring it up to being comparable to XP Pro?

eyec,

I think you would need a "proper" XP Pro Upgrade CD to change Home to Pro, no other (legal) way as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back