Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft SQL Server to Mainframe

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmctrek

Programmer
Jul 8, 2004
US
HELP!

I'm a mainframe/DB2 programmer. I'm just learning Microsoft SQL Server.

I need to pull data from the Microsoft SQL Server and send it to the mainframe.

My questions:
1) What tool will I edit/test/run my SQL with?
2) How will I transfer the data from the Microsoft SQL Server to the Mainframe (i.e. FTP)?
3) Can this new process be setup in a scheduler?

You will be needing the Query Analyzer (for coding) and possibly also Enterprise Manager (for admin) client tools supplied with SQL Server. You will also need to install Books Online help reference, also supplied with SQL Server.

Check out the "SQL Server Resources" section in the FAQ area for things like where to find SQL tutorials (faq183-694) and other SQL Server websites (faq183-513).

You will probably need advice from a Mainframe programmer for connection and scheduling help. You might try the IBM: DB2 forum on this site.

Nathan
[yinyang]
----------------------------------------
Want to get a good response to your question? Read this FAQ! -> faq183-874
----------------------------------------

YOu might look into DTS (Data Transformation Services) for your conversion. You can also write pure SQL to this, but for someone new to T-SQL this would probably be more difficult than using DTS. YOu can find it in Enterprise Manager. There are also some good books on DTS and doing complex conversions.

Any DTS package or T-SQL code can be scheduled through the use of SQL Server Agent.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

You might also want to explore "linked servers" for connecting to DB2. I work the other direction, (i.e. I pull data from a DB2 system) and my queries resemble:
Code:
Select MyData
  From  [blue]AS400[/blue].[red]MOSAIC_RDB[/red].[green]AILLIB[/green].MyTable
Where the colors represent:
[red]Linked Server Name[/red]
[blue]Database Name[/blue]
[green]Schema Name[/green]

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor