Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft SQL Server back-end license. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixindicator

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2007
BE
Don't know this is the right thread. I like to link ms access front-end to an Microsoft SQL Server back-end, or at least research the possibilities. Did some google, but can't find a clear brief answer. Is ms SQL free (is ms SQL Server Express free) or what is the minimum cost of an licence ?

SQL Server Express is the free version of SQL Server. There are some limitations.

SQL Server 2008 R2 Express has a database size limit of 10GB per database (no limit to the number of databases). It is also limited to using 1GB of RAM and 1 CPU.

I always encourage people to start using SQL Express. Later, if the limitations are causing you problems, you can upgrade to a "Paid For" version of SQL Server that does not have these limitations.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Ok. I just looked up a classical course of Microsoft SQL SERVER. What level or knowledge is required as it should function as a back-end ms access database ? If I only construct my tables in ms SQL SERVER and run my queries (+ reports, forms) in ms access front-end. Or is it recommended to run my queries in ms SQL SERVER.

You should not need a big learning curve to start using SQL server as a back end. We ran successfully for a couple of years with Access front end where the queries were mostly on the access side.

However, this was for our requirements. Yours may very.

Note that migrating from Access to SQL server tables can be troublesome. Example Access has a zip code column (text), the migration wizard says hey that looks like a number so the SQL server table column is FLOAT.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

The set up is to develop as much as possible in ms access front-end. To avoid possible performance trouble (slow-running) to store the data in SQL SERVER, also to let open scale possibilities for the future. Just one question for the moment. Can you link from the front-end ms access as easy to ms SQL SERVER as to a back-end ms access database.

You can link from access to sql server. I haven't done that in a really long time, but I know it's possible. Often times, linking is not the best approach because you are not really leveraging the best functionality of SQL Server.

However, if you are currently linking access front end to access back end, and you want to replace the back end database, it probably will not take much effort. You're not likely to get much speed improvement though. However, once you have things working, you can determine your bottlenecks and then start working to eliminate them.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back