Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft SQL & IB6 compatibility ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpenBabe

Programmer
Sep 25, 2000
GB
1. How compatible are MS-SQL 2000 & IB6/7 in terms of datatypes, triggers, procedures, etc? I have looked at a SQL 2000 server database through Enterprise Manager & the metadata generated as a script looks totally foreign to me !

2. Is there a quick way to get all the tables, triggers & generators that exist in a IB6 database, to be created in MS-SQL ?

3. If so, what the hell is the equivilient of IBConsole's Interactive SQL in Microsoft.

Sorry, it's not really about InterBase. We have developed lot's of stuff with IB, but a potential client is insisting that our client software use MS-SQL databases & we don't know enough (yet) to give them required information.
Spencer Window (not a joke name)
spencer.window@eastmidlandcomputers.ltd.uk

2) A quick way to export the data from Interbase to SQL-Server would be the use of the Datapump Utility from Borland that comes included with Borland's Delphi. Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

1) I would say that you should be able to represent anything you can have in IB in MS SQL. Truely compatible, I don't know. One thing though - if you use Generators: no such thing in MS SQL. MS SQL comes with an "identity" field - some kind of auto-inc datatype.

2) The metadata? Not really. I am working on such a thing (for tables and views) but it isn't finished yet. As for triggers and procedures, the languages differ quite a lot. And what you see from the MS SQL Enterprise Manager isn't really SQL92/99/whatever compatible either :)

As for the data, you can use the free datapump from (I believe) or mine (transfers data from IB/Fb/ODBC/ADO to IB/Fb/ODBC/ADO) at
3) The Query Analyzer perhaps? Martijn Tonies
InterBase Workbench - the developer tool for InterBase and Firebird

Thanks for that Martijn,

Since I posted this, I have discovered most of what have said to be true.

It certainly doesn't like IB syntax for Procedures/Triggers.

PS: I have the registered version IB WorkBench (1.4.1) & have tried the DataPump - What a "cool" tool !!!!

Spencer Window (not a joke name)
spencer.window@eastmidlandcomputers.ltd.uk

Hi Spencer,

Just a quick note on the triggers: I don't know exactly, but I believe since MS SQL 2000, you can have multiple triggers and let them fire on BEFORE actions as well. This is quite a change for MS SQL - while IB had this for years :)

As for IBW - the DataPump is nice :)

Thanks for the comments. Martijn Tonies
InterBase Workbench - the developer tool for InterBase and Firebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back