Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Security Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khosher

Technical User
Dec 4, 2005
IE
Hi All,

I am considering installing Microsoft's security essentials. I am currently using ACG free. Just looking for some opinions on this. Is it a good product ? Is it worth trading AVG for ?

Thanks.

Khosher said:
I am currently using ACG free.

I'm assuming that a typo, and that you're actually using AVG free.

Anyway, I've now used MSE by itself as well as alongside Avira Antivir. Both methods seem to work very well. Also, from what tests I've seen online, it seems to test out very well. All the while, I'd say that for now it is the absolute simplest antivirus software on the market. There may be some simpler, but I doubt it. Also, it's one of the most powerful.

Check out this link, and then follow the referenced link to the actual review:

Here's a direct link to one test by av-comparatives.org:

My PC Mag tests also give MSE a better detection rate than AVG Free.
I am looking into this as well.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

Avira + MSE is a winning combination.

The only drawback of MSE that I am aware of at the moment is that it doesn't give as detailed of info as AVG, Avira and others in regards to what is found when it does find an infection... or perhaps that one has changed since the initial release, I'm not 100% sure.

Also, if you already have Windows Defender installed, and don't get prompted to do so by MSE, or if it doesn't do it automatically, it's best to remove Windows Defender upon installing MSE.

i switched from AVG (it got too intrusive, doggy, and memory intensive) to MSE and am very satisfied with it, and absolutely remove Defender.

i still run Spybot and Malwarebytes every once in awhile to remove spy/malware (no anti-vir catches all of these)

Great guys, thanks for the feedback.

Off to microsoft.com for me now

I use it, but not alone, been using it quite a while now & have nothing to say but good about it. I have talked it up to others.

xit

I quit Mcafee Enterprise and went with Swcurity essentials and love it

Have it installed now and quite happy with it to be honest.

There doesn't seem to be much to it, but seems to do the job. Only time will tell I suppose.

I switched from AVG to MSE when I got tired of AVG prompting me to buy their pay version. I can't blame them for trying to make some money, but MSE seems as good, and it's free, and hasn't asked for money yet.

I am using AVG. Whatever Antivirus softwares we use , we should be careful in going online . Before downloading any programs from the internte make sure that the softwares you downloading is a safe one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back