Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Please Stop the Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillnumber1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
I am starting to think that Microsoft is starting to go mad. I know that they are implementing new technology and moving things. But as far as the certfication track they are moving to fast. First they were trying to take our NT 4.0 certs from us. Which we all worked hard to get. They now are coming out with the .net server. Do they expect companies to upgrade to .net servers. When most of them are still using NT 4.0. and some are using W2k. An upgrade of that magnitude is costly. The economy is sluggish. Come on Microsoft

they're not a benevolent order... they're a business... and Mr. Gates didn't get to be the richest guy on the block by sitting back and letting someone else get in front...

Of course, they will skid marks on us, too--if we don't try to keep up... JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

You are right he has made alot of things better. I we are getting the skid marks from it. But there are other technologies that are emerging like Linux (Opps did I say that) I have been looking at Linux and it seems very promising.

Microsoft is not necassarly trying to convince companies to upgrade to .Net on their servers, but they can sell NEW servers to people with .Net on it and they are more than happy to help you upgrade to it as well.

The real news at Microsoft is not the fact that .Net is out, but that .Net is already old news and few people are going to go to it as a result of them already having the plans underway for the next server & desktop platforms... well actualy the next server platform and the next 3 desktop platforms... (woo database based file systems, haven't we seen that before :)

.Net is a great concept, that is if anyone trusted the securty on an Microsoft system...

NT 4.0 and W2K arn't going away any time soon so don't worry.

Even Linux releases new versions of their software, they just call it Linux 8 insted of Linux .Net

Yea, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Linux release new versions of their kernel much faster the Microsoft does w/Windows? Granted Linux is free, but it's hard to upgrade those machines, hence you have to pay much higher admin costs to get it done right... Darrell Mozingo

The world is as we see it... CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

I agree with JTB,

First of all you cant blame Microsfot for releasing a new product. They are just like any other company - GE, Chrysler, Samsung etc. The develop and sell new technology - thats how the world moves ahead.

I dont understand all the gripes people have with Microsoft's product releases. Its like buying a new car and then 6 months later complaining because a new model has been released.

Second of all certifications are voluntary - if you dont want it or agree with it then dont get it. Same can be said for the software itself, if companies are reluctant to purhcase another new version of software they the probably wont. Its not a big deal.

Just my 2c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back