Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Outlook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trini5

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2007
US
In my install of Outlook 2003 on a new computer - I have some how deleted the 'local settings' folder that is linked to Outlook. I have reinstalled Outlook and when I try to setup Outlook it does not setup the 'local settings' folder under the users' profile. Is there a resolve for this?

Are you talking about this location?

C:\Documents and Settings\Usernamexxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

The folder "Local Settings" is a Hidden and System file, have you got the two options in Folder Options/ View set to show these type of files?

Thanks - I found the Local Settings folder per your direction and discovered in the Outlook folder and I then compared my outlook folder to the user's and found that the files in her outlook folder is: Extend dat file, Outlook office data file, outlook.sharing.xml.obi, personal folders (1) and personal folders (2), Office data file, uanrdex.oab, ubrowse.oab, urdndex.oab, utmplts.oab.

I discoverd that the Files that are missing: Archive, outlook, udetails, updndex. Can this be recovered?

I don't have some of those files either. Are her e-mails working or is there any actual problem with e-mail?

Under Outlook Help in there a "Detect and Repair" option that you can try?

You could also look to the MS Office forum for expert help.

Her email is not setting up - she can go online and get to her email via IE, however, when I click on Outlook to setup the user's profile a window prompts me to type in the mail server and user's name. I click Apply and Outlook closes on its own.

Not a lot here.

I suppose you could start looking at problems with the user's profile?

Anything showing up in the Event Viewer?

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

running detect & repair doesn't fix the outlook problem try to uninstall the outlook and reinstall it again, and if still having the same problem try to create new profile and configure it

I've noticed that the archive.pst file is not in the Outlook folder. The data file information is pointing to the users's personal folder instead of the archive.pst folder. How can I restablish the archive.pst file in the outlook folder. In the "deliver new email to the following accounts" window - it is pointing to the 'personal folder' instead of 'mailbox-user's name'. In the event viewer the error that I saw there read: "the dns server encountered an invalid domain name in a packet 206.13.28.12 this packet is rejected." I truly appreciate your assistance on this. Thank you.

There are hundreds of the DNS errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back