Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Outlook / Exchange 2003 Public Folders vs. BCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakatz

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2005
US
I have a set of users (approximately eight (8) in all), who are currently using a combination of Microsoft Outlook 2003 (mainly for email, calendar, etc.), but also have access to "Public Folders" for their workgroup (which, at this point, they primarily use for workgroup calendar info.)

This workgroup also uses ACT! 2000 for Business Contact Management, which I think pales in comparison to Microsoft Outlook 2003. Again, in ACT! 2000 they are primarily using it to share their contact data and not much else.

I have been trying to convince this group to move all this information to Microsoft Exchange / Outlook 2003, and now they are willing to make that move so we can finally eliminate ACT! 2000.

I have already created a "Public Folder" in Exchange 2003 (with appropriate access rights), for this workgroup to share data across the workgroup.

Although I know they can share their contacts, calendars, etc. as a workgroup in these previously created public folders (while leaving their "personal" messages, contacts, calendars, etc. private), to what advantage (if any), would there be for this workgroup to employee the features of the Outlook / Exchange 2003 "Business Contact Manager" subset as opposed to employing the "Public Folders" in Exchange that have already been created and are partially in use already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back