Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Outlook 07 strange Contact issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Good morning Gentlemen and ladies,

I'm more writing this as a "think out loud" but if anyone has an idea or knows of a common bug, I'm all ears.

Every once in a while, my boss will try to send an email to a certain person and it will error out, saying Delivery Failure and Invalid Domain. Lets say the email he is trying to send to is xyz@abc.net. When he gets the error message, it shows it as trying to go to xyz@ac.net, notice the missing letter. He has this person in his contacts list and the email is correct in there. He also states that when he creates a new message and hits the letter "x" in the "To" field to bring up all the contacts that start with "x", that person's email isn't listed there.

There most definitely could be some user error involved here as there usually is in issues with this user. I'm going to delete the contact and reenter it and see if there is just some funky correlation between the contact and email program. Also planned on updating it to the latest Service Pack to see if any bugs were fixed to alleviate this particular issue. Any other suggestions are welcome. I know you can do a Office Repair but that takes some time as I have done it before on another machine. Also, I guess a reinstall of the program is possible but I would rather not. This has been happening to my knowledge maybe once a month for a couple months now. I chalked it up originally to the recipient having an "incorrect" POP account under their Outlook but after fixing that, issue still persists.

PC is running XP SP3 with enough horsepower and everything is less than a year old hardware and install wise.

Thoughts, ideas, rants?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it now.

Have you actually checked the email address or just the "display as" because you can correct typing errors in that and the address Outlook will try to send to could still be incorrect.

Check for the presence of two or more addresses for the contact.

The "lookup" in the header fields uses the "Display As" field of the contacts when Outlook is pre guessing the contact, and it will offer up recently used addresses as well.

I highly doubt that it warrants a reinstallation, I think that it's more likely to be a PEBCAK issue, because if it was a Outlook glitch it would happen with more than one contact.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I did find an address in the "Look up" portion which matched the incorrect address and deleted it. My guess is he was choosing that one and didn't realize it was incorrect. He also has an iPhone that syncs contacts so I'm going to take a look in there also to make sure that it isn't sending anything funky on sync.

Thanks and yea I agree PEBCAK or PEBKAU. :)

@sniper - typing it fully sends just fine. That's why I'm thinking the above but figured I would throw this out there to see if anyone had anything funky like this happen

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it now.

You may have sorted this by now but going on what you are saying it would be worth using something like nk2edit to remove the offending address/es...editing the NK2 file directly will more effective than deleting from within the address bar...at least in my experience it has been...it's a freebie and has a 64bit version too [smile]
Obviuosly if he's syncing a rogue address too from the iphone then that needs sorting.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back